I don't know why I think I want to be a runner, but I do. I've always wanted to be able to run. In HS, I tried to be a cross country runner with my friend Johanna. That lasted until we reached the end of the school property and I waved her on as I fell back to catch my breath. I think I turned around and walked home (it was convenient to live near the HS growing up.) I never returned to cross country again.
Well, I've gone and done it. I've committed myself to run in a duathalon in 13 weeks! When the race gets closer I'll say my official good byes since I'm sure it will kill me or stun me into some sort of comatose state. For now, any hints or tips on how to run and make it past one lap is appreciated.
What is a duathalon some of you might ask? Well it's run, bike, run. Sounds doable right? I'll soon let you know.
The great part is I've committed Jared to do it too. I've also roped in my friend Gillian, her husband and our friend Beth. Misery loves company!
So as one last hurrah before my affair with my treadmill begins, I made some peanut butter bars. These are the BEST peanut butter bars you'll ever make and I'm not kidding.
Here's the recipe:3/4 cup softened butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
Mix and then add:
1/2 cup flour
2 cups oatmeal
Pour into jelly roll pan/large cookie sheet and cook 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown in 350 oven.
Let cool completely. Frost with chocolate frosting (homemade of course)
I sent these with Jared while he was playing war last week but I left a row for myself and Gibson. I ate them all in one sitting! They are SO yummy!
These last two pictures have nothing to do with my last hurrah. They are just pictures of Easton that I took the other day.
This boy is a ham! He has such a fun personality and loves to scrunch his face while he eats.

He also found this box and made it his hang out for the day. He put all his favorite toys in it and then climbed in and just sat in it. He'd lean back and put his legs over the side and then tip it over and put it on his head. Such a cute boy!
15 comments:
syd,
Nobody could keep up with Johanna. That girl was a freak. Good luck with your running, I think running is an evil practice and I refuse to do it.
Good luck with the running thing. I hate running! I think I am pretty in shape and running still kills me. I hope you don't die! jj
I think I am going to have to make those peanut butter bars today! Thanks!
You're nuts. I'm going to stick to the 5K that I've committed to and then if I survive that then we'll talk about something a little bigger. I feel the same way about being a runner. I will do it!
And I love E (my new nickname for Easton). He has the funniest personality!
I think I'll keep NOT running, and instead make those PB bars.
Good luck to you though!
Awesome, Sydney! I wish I could do it with you. I'm thinking about a marathon in the fall. Do you want to join me?
Running... that's going to be the topic of one of my posts. IF I ever post again, that is. Still have to get that pesky Groundhog Day entry done. Sort of like my Christmas cards... right?
Gillian will be a GREAT running/training partner. She is possibly the funniest person I've ever met and will be absolutely as sarcastic as you need her to be. She gave me a hilarious book about running. I'd offer to send it to you, but the duathlon would be here before you received it. Sorry... lame, but true. Maybe getting my act together will be my next New Year's resolution. Right.
Oh, and I would offer to join you in marathon training or something, but running makes me pregnant and I'm just not sure I'm ready for that. :-) But then I'd have an excuse for the pb bars, right?
Next time I'll try to leave a comment without using "right" or "great."
Right.
Great... I did it again. GREAT!
Right?
SYD! so I just read chanas comment too and I think maybe it is something in us taylor girls blood because pretty sure I enrolled in a jogging/walking class this semester and I am in the WALKING portion of this class!! it is horrible BUT i have committed myself to a MARATHON!!! yes sir ree you read me right! I have made a personal goal to run a marathon by the time I am 25. this means you and I (see how i put in your name so sly-ly) have 4 years to get in shape and run it. so I was thinking this year run a 5k next year run like a half marathon, etc... what do you think? your in right?? think of the sisterly bonding we could do through this all... and maybe we could get chana in for the fun! all in favor say I!!!!!! I!!!!!
Sydney,
I thought I would check out your blog, and I am pleased to see that you are taking up one of my favorite past-times, before I got pregnant. Just keep with it and push yourself a little more each day and you will be able to finish your race. You will be suprised at how much adrenaline makes a difference. Have fun, once you get started you will love it!
I would suggest not eating any peanut butter bars until after your race though. :)
Meghan(Damon's wife)
Way to go, Syd! I have total admiration for runners...it is HARD! I tried it for about five minutes and it didn't go so well. Good luck in your duathalon...I'm sure you will do great!
Kathryn
are you kidding - eat whatever the smack you want now that you are running!!! my only advice is to make yourself a rockin playlist. running can be very addicting... good for you guys!
I admire you for setting such a great goal.
I agree most, I wish I could, what are we all trying to run away from? Don't just criminals have to run? I hate it, it IS evil..j/k really...
But good for you, really, you wont die. One day I might get inspired, when the kids are in college.
Okay, I have to make a comment too. RUNNING is GOOD! After a few days of not running, I get to feeling crazy. It's a great release, and something I do for ME. My advice, MUSIC and get yourself a double jogger (ours is a bob duallie) take the kids with you!! They will love that time with you. When you are starting out, run until you have to walk, and then start running again when you feel you can. You will be surprised at how much further you can push yourself each day. **Don't give up!** you can do it. Oh, and half marathon's aren't bad (especially when you have your bff (Leslie) beside you!
Oh, those peanut butter bars look soooooo good Sydney! This isn't helping my desire to eat healthy! :)
Okay so you already know how I feel about running. I'm with Damon. It's evil.
Two of my best friends from college are marathon runners. I traveled with them to their marathons and got some awesome shopping done while they ran marathons (New York, San Fran, Boston) and then booked it to the finish line in time to see them cross like I'd been there the whole time. And it was exhausting!
Post a Comment