Saturday, February 2, 2008

HAPPY DAY.....

that is GroundHOG's DAY!!! (no surprise that Punxatawny Phil predicted another 6 weeks of winter this morning)

Groundhog's day holds a special place in our hearts. It was 02-02-02 that we left our warm home in Cleveland, Ohio and traveled to Punxatawny, PA to celebrate Groundhog's Day with 35,000 other people.

We went with 3 other couples, squished into one motel room and had a GREAT time!


It was COLD. I believe somewhere around the 14-15 degree mark and we had to leave our nice, comfy floor at the motel at some early hour of 3am to get to Gobblers Knob. We were frozen, we laughed a lot and we were there for Punxatawny Phil to declare another 6 weeks of winter.

If you've seen the movie Groundhog's Day, then you could say you've been to Punxatawny, PA. The town mimics the movie or maybe the movie mimicked the town.

They had a trivia contest and Jared and the other 3 guys won this smashing autographed poster (yes, they dress like that on Groundhog's Day.)- Notice he had it autographed for me!! What a darling.

Thank you Owens for putting together a trip that we will forever talk about!

Another HAPPY DAY..... HaPpy BiRThDaY LAurIe!

Laurie was with us in Punxatawny on 02-02-02 and she got extra special treatment because it was her birthday! She got to attend a special party with cake and some other festive things throughout the day.

Laurie is one of my best friends. She's spunky, she's honest, she's as true of friend as you'll find. I talk to her at least once a week and I don't know what I'd do without her! Laurie, Happy Birthday! Love you!

7 comments:

The Atwood's said...

That's so funny you went for Groundhog Day! I wish I would have known it was so close, we would have thought about going - then again, it is REALLY cold. Happy birthday Laurie!!! She is a great friend and I too LOVE honesty. You guys are both great friends to have.

steph said...

I completely forgot about it being Groundhog's Day. We always talked about going "before" we left Ohio. But now that we are permanent freakin Ohioans, I guess there's no rush!

Happy Birthday Laurie! I know I'm wishing you happy birthday on Sydney's blog - but, hope you had a GREAT day!

Shelley said...

What a great story to tell your kids about. They might even invite you into their school classes to tell first hand your experiences. Enjoy your 6 more weeks of winter.

wurstens5 said...

That's funny you posted that syd, Jeff and I were just talking about that today and how cold it was. I don't think we even had a clue did we. That would have been fun to do again.

Tara said...

SHOW OFF!! Your pictures rock! Even if I found mine, they'd be nothing like yours...we just have a couple of dark photos of, well, nothing really. WE know what they are, though.

Funny... I didn't even realize we were in Cleveland at the same time. Did we ever work that out? Too bad we didn't cross paths... could be working on 6 years of a great friendship. :-)

Damon said...

That is hilarious. I had no idea it was such a celebration. 35,000 people?!

Ben and Krystal said...

Hey we got a mention in the Condie blog! heehee
that weekend was a blast, I still think about how cold it was that day too. Poor Kaleb, we sure let our kid suffer in zero degree weather!