Sunday, June 29, 2008

TODAY

is my 30th birthday.

Why do I feel like I'm in a support group and saying it for the first time? Hello, my name is Sydney, I am 30 years old! Ugh, is really all I can say because UGH is how I feel.

Years ago there was a song by Deana Carter, "Strawberry Wine", in the song there's a line "I still remember, when 30 was old".....um, yeah, because it IS! 30 is old. I know that because I AM 30!

I can still vividly remember milestone birthdays. There was my 16th birthday when my friends saran wrapped me to a pole at Brookside gas station {big hang out} and hung a big sign around my neck that said "Honk, it's my 16th birthday!", I remember my 20th birthday when I got FRIED at a golf tournament. I had blisters the size of ice cubes all over my shoulders which in turn had to be drained and scrapped off with a metal brush by the doctor. Yup, 2nd and 3rd degree burns all because I didn't wear sunscreen AND on June 29th. Happy Birthday to me. For my 21st birthday I received patriotic dinnerware for my "trousseau" which Jared in turn felt he had to salute every time we ate!

So I've obviously known my 30th birthday was coming and yet, I've been dreading it for, well, years...

Yes, I AM 30. I had a wonderful birthday with my wonderful husband and two incredible boys. First item of business this morning was a few presents. Jared picked out this adorable and perfect apron for me. I have wanted an apron forever and honestly didn't think Jared had heard me but yet, he found one that I LOVE!

{yes, I cropped out my face. I was making a less than pretty face and the focus should be on my new apron, not my trying to be cute but ended up looking a little odd facial expression}

I also got a gift certificate for a massage from my in-laws! {it includes babysitting, how heavenly is that!}

I was able to use the "you take him, it's my birthday" card to Jared at church when Easton was acting up and needed to be taken out in the hall. I also got a nap and we ended the day with homemade icecream and a chocolate brownie cake! Yum, yum.

{delicious homemade ice cream in my fabulous $7 thrift store find}

{yummy chocolate chip brownie torte. Large enough for a very large crowd....ignore the shiny face and nap hair}

As I thought about what I wanted for my birthday I came up with a list forever long. As I looked at my list and really thought about what I wanted, I decided that the only thing I really wanted for my birthday was a family picture. Is that a sign of maturity or what? We had our family pictures taken a few weeks ago and I just got the proofs yesterday. It's exactly what I wanted and they capture my family perfectly. The pictures show me {braces and all} at age 30. I have everything I could possibly want in those pictures. An incredible husband and 2 incredible kids. Yes, I am 30 and somehow, some way, I think I'm going to survive.

25 comments:

Rachel said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I'm glad Sydney-gra has gotten off to a great start. I'm sorry you finally had to join all us old folks, but congratulations on handling it with grace.
I love ya Sydsta!

Alex said...

Happy Birthday, Sonic!

Jessica said...

I totally get it!! Except mine didnt hit until last Thursday and my thirtyth birthday was back in March, but thursday it hit me! I am a mom you wears her hair up everyday!! Very FRUMPY!!:) We will survive

Brandon and Carly said...

Happy Birthday Sydney. Don't worry - - 30 is the new 20!!!

Mike Hurren said...

Happy Birthday. I've never trusted anyone over 30, including myself :)

Prince's said...

Syd
Happy Birthday I am excited for you because Dave reminded me that I will be 35 this year! So to be 30 again would be great except that I would be living in Cleveland again. Best of luck and happy Birthday if you ever make it to Midway come visit.
love
Angie

TaylorClan said...

You got tied up at brookside! are there pictures I don't remember that. where was I? that is just way too funny!! Happy B-day!

Annalyse said...

It looks like you had a great birthday. You know, 3-0 isn't so bad, my husband turned 37 in April, he is getting close to 4-0. That will be scary.

I SO remember your horrible sunburn on your 20th birthday. I felt so bad for you. I can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Happy Birthday, Syd! I can't wait to see you! Please make sure you call so we can get together!!!

Kati said...

I don't think you look a day over 21.
Glad you had such a fantastic day. I can't wait to see the pictures of your cute family...
That ice cream looks deeeeee-lish!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Haley said...

Happy Birthday!!! We'll all get there soon... or we already are! No worries. Loving your cute shirt and new apron!

The Wolfley Family said...

Happy Happy Birthday and Hey -- you're not that old!

wurstens5 said...

Happy birthday. 30's the new young, at least that's how I look at it, as I am starting to grow a few grey hairs. Where in the world did that come from??

Florrie said...

Welcome to the 30 club, sucks doesn't it?? Hope you had a great birthday.....it sounds like you did anyway!

Amanda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Welcome to the old ladies club!

Tara said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I didn't know it was June 29th; you're the FOURTH person I know with that birthday, including my best friend from junior high. (Now I'll have NO excuse to forget!)

I'm so happy you had a great day. You look absolutely gorgeous in your photo and definitely not a day over 20.

Can't wait to see the family pics!

Oh, and you SHOULD get a minivan. Ours gets 26 mpg on the highway!

:-)

Cassie said...

Happy Birthday Sydney,
You are so great.

More Caffiene, Please said...

Happy birthday from one brace-face 30 year-old to another. You look great! I laughed at your 16th birthday memory - I had forgotten!

Tracy said...

Are you sure that's not a picture of your 16th birthday?! You are so cute! love you hair!

510Jen said...

Happy BIrthday it's not that bad.

leslie said...

happy birthday syd - you are soso cute!!! love the apron (props to jared) and seriously, 30 really is the bomb - welcome!

Sarah said...

can't believe I missed your birthday. so sorry. looks like you had a pretty good day. LOVE your apron J picked out and the ice cream... yummO. hope you had a fabulous day and got to do something for yourself. wish we could do a girls night out or something. We are in need of a little reunion SOON with everyone. Oh, by the way- the dentist our friends the Johnsons are working with is Dr. Blume. Do you know him? ANyways, any more details I'll be sure to pass down. miss ya.

Renee said...

Happy Birthday Sydney! We hope you had a fabulous day!

The Barton Family said...

Happy Birthday. I'm headed there soon! I am going to throw a farwell 20's party to celebrate!

Sue said...

Looked like such a fun birthday. I remember turning 30 way back when... Now 40 is looming and I don't even care.
Love the pictures of your cute boys!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I remember our conversation driving from Boise about dreading the big 30. It's really not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Sorry I didn't get a card in the mail!