Friday, June 20, 2008

"E" for Effort

Why is it that when my kids act out in a setting when I want them to behave, I remember the "sweet" old lady with big red hair that told me "it's children like yours that end up in prison" as Gibson was having a meltdown at 2 years old? {it's a really long story and my blood will start to boil if I recall it completely...however, if you happened to answer your phone on that day, you remember it all too well!}

The prison inmate- 18 months old

Last night we had a family photo session. It had been planned for weeks. I even rescheduled so that I'd have time to go shopping to find the perfect clothes to wear for each member of the family. I didn't let my kids play outside all week for fear they'd get a sunburn and have red faces and I looked them over each night for unsightly bruises or scratches that would ruin the "perfect" family shot that I wanted/needed for some marketing we're doing.

I had high hopes for our pictures. My children were going to pose and be perfect models and sit/stand/behave just like we had talked about. Husband was going to smile and smile and forget all his worries until we got the "perfect" shot and then ever so sweetly suggest "that's a wrap, let's go home."

Ah, if only.......

I remembered that I have an 18 month old that can barely stand to sit in his carseat fully strapped in let alone sit still and smile at the correct moment. He'd much rather pull weeds or walk down the sidewalk glancing back to see if he was going to get caught.

I
could see the wacky faces and far off glances my 3 1/2 year old was making. It started well but soon he realized that the younger one acting out was getting all the attention.....

Or the roll of his eyes and eagerness in his voice as my dear husband tried to forget that he had a HUGE exam today that he needed to study for.

So, I've taken a moment today to realize that THIS is the stage of life I'm in. If I had gotten a perfect picture {a miracle may still happen, I haven't seen them yet} then I would constantly be telling the "do you know what we had to do to get that shot" story. Instead, I think I'm going to get some pictures of little boys being little boys and a husband who's showing his love for his wife by even showing up and smiling....yes, THIS is my life.

the current 18 month old....prison inmate #2?

7 comments:

thetaylors said...

We're excited to see the photos!! I think we are going to try for a family picture in August. I can see it now, 2 good babies and one screaming Addie. (See, we do comment, and just because we don't say much doesn't mean that we don't enjoy every bit of your blog, because we do.)

Sarah said...

I am sure you got at least one that you will be thrilled about. The stages these babies are in is just the worst for pictures. One day they will all be sitting straight and tall and have the perfect smile BUT we will then miss the hugs, wiggle worms, messy faces.... Can't wait to see them.

Cassie said...

Ah, Sydney,
This post was too funny. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one with children headed to prison.
You know looking back at my childhood. Jared and I were great cell mates.
I love your blog.

Becca said...

was that the lady at the pool in colorado springs? I remember that day!

The Barton Family said...

Ha, I rememmber that day! You were so mad, how can someone be so rude!? I feel the same way and deal with all the same stuff when we get family photos. I guess we should give ourselves more credit for trying! You guys look great, I love the short new do!

The Wright's said...

HAHA!! Wow, I can completely feel your pain. Been there, done that and STILL doing that. The only thing you can do is go for milkshakes afterward. Massages help ease the stress as well...

So, what did Erin think of that date with my bro?? He had a blast. I want them to get married. But I usually don't get what I want.
I would love to tell you more, but blogs aren't the place to spread "gossip."

Amanda said...

It was still sooo fun though! I'm still going through them (even trying to switch some heads around - ewww maybe I shouldn't tell you that :) Then you can say - Do you know what AManda had to do to this shot to make it look like this?! heehee
Hopefully they'll be done by monday - or sooner!