I remember last year talking to my friend Laurie about her daughters 3rd birthday. She was stressing about the invites, the activities, the cake and everything else that goes into planning a birthday bash. I remember telling her to make it stress free, not to make invites but phone calls, order pizza and make cupcakes.
This year, I found myself stressing over Gibson's 3rd birthday. We were going to be out of town- so should I have it before we leave, have it when we get back, have it in Utah, not have one at all??? Finally I decided that I too needed to make it stress free. We decided to have a last minute bash at a local park in Utah. We invited cousins and his friend Nate, ordered pizza, had cake and ice cream and that was it! No invites, no games, no stress. It was great!
For weeks I kept asking Gibson what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday. He went from Diego to Little Einsteins to Beyond (Buzz Lightyear) and then he went back to and stayed with Little Einsteins.
I had no idea that Utah does not have a Disney store. My intentions were to get some little figurines, plop them on a cake and call it good. I called everywhere and finally decided that a Little Einstein DVD would be good enough. Plus, I thought it was pretty practical since we'll get years of use out of the DVD and the figurines would have only lasted a few months!!
So, there's a story behind the cake which I have to tell. You see, my twin brothers birthday is on Sept. 13th. We enjoyed a delicious chocolate cake. My sister got married on Sept. 14th where she had a 3 layer cake which she DID NOT serve. So, the wedding cake was just going to get thrown away or picked at as it sat in my parents kitchen. Gibson's birthday party was Sept. 15th. As we all know it's customary to have cake at a birthday party---so, wedding cake today...birthday cake tomorrow!!
If you look behind the #3 you'll see a hole where my sister cut her cake. If you were to look under the DVD you'd find 4 holes where pillars once stood and if you look on the sides you'll find a pretty pattern which we all know I never would have done in frosting for a 3 year olds birthday cake!! Plus it's rolled fondant, um, yeah, never would I have made it that smooth!
I added M&M's to the sides, some writing on top (I was aiming for red frosting but it turned out pink- oh, well) and tada! Gibson's birthday cake!
We ordered pizza, ate it on paper plates while sitting on the grass. Yummy!
We told everyone NO GIFTS since it was a last minute and low key. As you can see, everyone listened! Thank you everyone, he's LOVING his new toys.
I love this picture of Gibson. He received 4 new cars, 2 of which were Buzz Lightyear. He raced them around and around this basketball court and even took a small spill as he went faster than the cars! He has a nice goose egg on his forehead and two scabs on his nose.

5 comments:
Gibson is so cute! Loved the cake! Why go through the trouble of making one when one has already been done for you. We always have to relight the candles over and over for everyone in the family to have a turn blowing them out. What a fun day!
Syd,
Gibson is so cute. SO cute. He totally has your eyes and the rest is all Jared. Yay for 3 year-old boys!
Syd...first of all, he is the cutest 3 year old I have seen for a long time. I just love the way you do things! You are so fun, easy going, and everything turns out perfect!
Second...how are your twin brothers??? I haven't seen them since graduation. Tell them hi for me. They were always so nice.
and 3rd...
Glad you made it home safe!
I LOVE THAT WEDDING-BIRTHDAY CAKE!
And I love you for not getting hysterical over a third birthday! I went a little berserk last year and as we all know, children totally remember every detail of their 2nd birthday.
This year I'm going "stress free" too. In fact, maybe I'll make the day about Lily instead of me.:o) There's no way I'm telling people not to bring gifts though. ;) I'm glad nobody listened to you!
Man, I want another wedding. Your sister is beautiful (of course) but I think my favorite picture is your boys in front of the beautiful view of the temple. You should frame that one!
Post a Comment