Time Flies

I am currently making a German Chocolate Cake...from scratch..... to celebrate the existance of an amazing man.
My Dad.
Today is his 60th birthday! Woah. Is he really that old? As I think of his 60 years and I subtract my 30 years, I realize that my dad was my age when I was born. Which means, I'll be his age when Creed's my age.
Stopping to reflect on that math. I wonder what I'll be like at age 60. Will I be as successful and happy as my dad? Will Creed be married and have children of his own?
Life is a funny thing. It's one of those things that sometimes I just live. Other times I stop and think and reflect and it's at these moments that I'm often brought to tears or have a large smile spread across my face as I remember the past or imagine what the future will hold.
Life has been happening for the past three weeks. A few of the days I honestly just survived. Adjustments with three kids is, well, an adjustment. Throw in illness and SNOW and well, we just made it through the days.
So today, as I bake a cake for my wonderful dad. I feel like I'm living life once again. Amazing how getting back into a routine and doing what I enjoy makes me happy. Good health really does equal happiness. Feeling like "me" once again makes me want to take care of myself and, perhaps even shower and dress into something that doesn't have an elastic waist band.
When I feel good I seem to have more patience with the kiddos and most importantly, myself. I'm learning that I have to cut myself some slack and celebrate the simple victories like getting a 4 hour stretch of sleep or taking the kids to the park- even if we are in elastic waist band pants!
I look at my dad and I'm so grateful he's mine. I'm so grateful that he's married to my mom. The two of them are like peas and carrots. They just go together. I'm so grateful that he's the grandpa to my children and that I can see by the way he interacts with them how much he loves them. {He took a day off work after I had Creed so he could watch Gibson and Easton for me....now that's love. He also has stopped over after work just to hold Creed for a minute before heading home}
So with homemade German Chocolate Cake nearly completed and a fun and exciting present ready to be presented. I'm ready to celebrate this big milestone of a man that I adore and want to wish a very happy, happy birthday! I love you dad.
5 comments:
Hi Syd,
I just got caught up on the fun happenings of your family. I am glad you starting to feel better, that your dad is so wonderful and I'm purely jealous you got to see Wicked. I don't know how you scored those tickets, but I'm jealous! I can't wait to meet Creed - he looks like he just fits right in with you all! I love reading your blog. I'm impressed how much you update! Go girl!
Sydney,
You know how to say it well. Happy birthday to your dad. I'm glad you are feeling better. And we are excited to see Creed. Katie is anixous to see Gibson this summer. As for running, I would love to, time and a season for everything. Love ya
Oh I am tearing up and he isn't my dad! Well said Syd! It is nice when you start to feel like yourself again. Enjoy it! And enjoy those elastic waist pants- at our age they will only be appropriate for another month or so! Bryce just took mine away. I miss them and I had to have my kids teach me to do up buttons- it had been a while!
I wish I lived next door to you...you always seem to be baking, and surely there is something yummy leftover :)
Happy late birthday to your sweet Dad. I love that picture. I'm glad you are feeling good and enjoying life. I sure miss you.
Post a Comment