Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Creed's Arrival


A morning in Sept. 2004, I made my way down the hall to find Jared to tell him that I didn't think he should go to school that day. I got out the words "Hey Jare, I don't think......." when my water broke. 

14 long, painful hours later, Gibson was born.

I sent him to the nursery so that I could recover from his birth and he never rejoined me in my recovery room. It was quickly learned that Gibson had Group B Strep and was sent to the NICU to be placed on IV antibiotics for the next 14 days.

It was a horrible experience to be so far from family {we were in Cleveland} and yet, even if we were near family, there wasn't much anyone could do. I spent the next 14 days sleeping on a plastic sofa holding my newborn who was attached to a bounty of monitors. He had endured 3 spinal taps, countless pricks and IV's in his head, arm and legs. 

My history of Group B Strep allows me to set up being induced since I have to have antibiotics in my system for 4 hours before I can deliver.

With Easton we were given a day that my doctor had a light schedule and could induce me. Easton was one of two babies born that day. It was a quiet day in the hospital and his birth was so much easier than that of Gibson's.

So with the upcoming arrival of Creed, I once again was able to set up an induction date. We picked Friday, March 27th mainly because of Jared's schedule and also because it was easier to get help with the boys over the weekend.

So, here it is....The story of Creed's arrival.

I was told a few days before that I was all set for the 27th and that the hospital would call me in the morning and tell me what time to be there. When 10:30 rolled around and I still had not received a call, I was panicked.  I called the hospital and was told that I was still on the list but that there were no available rooms. I was told that if one came available they'd call me, otherwise, I'd be bumped to MONDAY!

The water works turned on and I started to get really grumpy. Of course everything was planned for me to have the baby THAT day. Jared took the day off work, I had babysitters arranged for the next 4 days and mentally, I didn't think I could make it through the weekend.

We took Gibson to school, walked around main street stopping to get ice cream and popcorn and then we took a drive. At about 2:30 I got the call I had been waiting on and was told that if I could be there in 30 minutes, I could be induced!

We dropped the kids off at Emilee's, ran home to get the camera and we were off.

I was hooked up to the antibiotics at 4 p.m.-  Pitocin was started around 6:00 and the Dr. broke my water around 7:30. I got my epidural a little before 8 and Creed was born at 10:33 p.m. 

I was ready to push around 10 but my Dr. was down the hall delivering another baby so I got to wait for about 35 minutes to push. I pushed through 2 contractions, a total of 4 pushes and he was born.

It was an easy delivery and so far an easy recovery. Creed is a great baby and a great sleeper!

His Apgar scores were 9/9 and the instant we held him, we fell in love once again. He looks just like Gibson did when Gibson was born.  He's a cutie.

My doctor delivered more than 7 babies that day. It was a popular day to be born here in Utah Valley!

{I started writing this post nearly two weeks ago. Between the three kids and illness, I'm hoping other posts don't take nearly as long!}

4 comments:

gillian said...

I had no idea Gibson was a NICU baby - wow, I cannot imagine having to go through that.
I was positive for Group B strep with Maddy but not Hank. Weird?
Creed is a cutie -- congrats again!

More Caffiene, Please said...

He is so cute Sydney! I'm so glad that his delivery went so good and that you're all doing so well. Keep the pictures coming!

Holly said...

I love that you detailed it-- and I'm glad that they got you in, albeit late, on the day you had planned. What a little doll. Rest easy. He's here--and he's home!

Rachel said...

He's a little dream boat. I already lurve him!

And by the way... my mom told me she ran into you at Costco with ALL THREE KIDS in tow! Girl, you rock! I'm pretty sure it took me at least four months to try something that crazy with just two kids.