Camel's Back Duathlon!!!
I actually competed and completed in my first duathlon!!
It was SO hard and such an eye opener to me of how far I need to get in my running/biking abilities.
A few months ago there was great talk among my friends here about all of us doing it together. One by one they all dropped out which left Caleb, Gillian and myself to conquer the big race.
I actually competed and completed in my first duathlon!!
It was SO hard and such an eye opener to me of how far I need to get in my running/biking abilities.
A few months ago there was great talk among my friends here about all of us doing it together. One by one they all dropped out which left Caleb, Gillian and myself to conquer the big race.
Here we are before the race began. Caleb did the long course which I would still be doing if I had chosen that one. Gillian was a rockstar and cruised through all the events (she credits the dye tie t-shirt) and then there was me.....I did the short course which was 2K run/ 15K bike/ 2K run.
{picture from race photographer}The first run was pretty easy. It was on a variety of terrain (grass, rocks, loose sand, hard dirt, loose gravel) but all in all it was a lot of fun.
Here I am coming in from the first run and heading towards the bikes. I had learned the night before that there was a "hill" that we had to do. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a nice stroll through the valley, I had NO idea that there was a hill.
Once I got to the "hill" I quickly decided that it was indeed a "mountain"- yes, the base of a ski resort!! It turned out that we had to travel up this mountain for 3 miles! Ouch! For someone who hadn't trained and who lives in a town with no mountains, this nearly did me in. Somehow, I mustered the courage and I kept riding and made it to the turnaround at the top. (I was encouraged by the 10 year olds and the 65 year olds who were cruising past me....note to self, get in shape!)
{picture from race photographer}I finished the 9+ miles bike ride and dropped off my bike and returned to the running trail. My legs were burning, my throat hurt and I was ready to be done. It was a happy and joyful sight to see the finish banner and the streams of people cheering me on!

I DID IT!!! It was such an accomplishment to know that I conquered something that I had been dreading and fearing for several months!
We drug the kids out of bed and Jared and the boys were there to support me! Jared asked Gibson on the way up what they were going to do while I was running, Gibson said "we're going to yell "Go Mommy, You Can Do It!"A race is a great chance to take a look inside one's self. I was my biggest cheerleader as I kept telling myself that I could do it each time I wanted to stop and turnaround. I learned that I am stronger than I think. I am more capable than I thought and that I actually enjoy it.
We've already signed up for another 5K in a few weeks and so I say, let the running begin!!
22 comments:
Wow. You are my hero. I'm still trying to motivate myself to run more than 1 mile at a time.
Maybe I'll really commit and sign up for a 5K.
So proud of you big sis!!
Nice work Syd. No running for me unless there is a ball involved and even then, I would never go that far.
You are my hero.
Great accomplishment. Someday I would like to do one. I bought a bike two years ago. I have good intentions. Hey I am glad I am not the only person that doesn't mind the trains.
ROCK. STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats Sydney--that is quite an achievement, especially for me who is tired after riding my bike around the neighborhood, at a leisure pace. :)
Good job Sydney. That is a great accomplishment. Running isn't to bad right? Once you start, you won't be able to stop=)
You are so AWESOME! Congrats! I am so very proud of you! Such an inspiration.
I am going to go eat a treat and drink my pepsi now...
Great job!
strong work sista friend! i'm so, so, so impressed, but i'm really glad we don't live near one another right now... i might just be tempted by your example to try this crazy stuff. heaven knows i can't afford the effect running would have on my post-nursing bosom! :)
kati, i like how YOU think! mmmm, pepsi!
My favorite part: "I was my biggest cheerleader as I kept telling myself that I could do it each time I wanted to stop and turnaround. I learned that I am stronger than I think."
This is what I'm learning about myself too--you are so eloquent :o) Thanks for the motivation. I need it right now...
Congrats to you!!!!
Good job Sydney! Impressive.
I'm glad I'm sitting here eating a box of Milk Duds while reading this. Thanks for the guilt and GOOD JOB!
Way to go Syd-what an accomplishment!
Syd how awesome. You look so great! I am proud of you I remember how much you hated running. It is probably getting a little addicting now isn't it?
Way to go! You hav more strength than I do!
-Kristi
That's really awesome, way to go!
The biking part would seriously kick my butt. Good luck on your 5K.
Hey Sydney. Its Carly Robison. I found you on Jamie Wursten's blog. I am new to this whole blogging thing, but would love to get in touch. My e-mail is carlyrobison@yahoo.com.
WOW!! What a HERO!! I am more than impressed with you. You can do anything Syd, but I already knew that. Good work!
Go Sydney! I wish I could have been there at the finish line. What an accomplishment! Now for a marathon this fall?
Sydney, you are the BOMB! I am loving that you are doing that. Are you up for a triathlon? I just got into the St. George marathon for Oct. A bit scared, but I am determined. Posts like this and people like you inspire me. Thanks
Good for you Sydney. You are inspiration to me. I have been wanting to do something like that for a while but haven't done anything about it. I guess I better get my act together. Great Job!!!!!
look at you go girl!!! you are on a roll.... so proud of you! you rock!
Holy cow, Syd! You are awesome! I can barely handle a 1 hour kickboxing class...how do you do it? Way to go!
Post a Comment