Let's Talk TV
You would think for the amount of TV that I watch, I'd realize that the writers are still on strike. I guess I haven't noticed too much since most of the shows I enjoy are reality shows and were recorded months ago and are new each week.
The light bulb went off on Sunday when I tried to record The Golden Globes. All I could find was this one hour Golden Globe Winners Special that was airing. I was getting so annoyed as to why I wasn't getting the full Globes. Finally after several attempts of scrolling through the TV guide, I swallowed my pride and asked Jared if he knew.
"The writers are still on strike, Syd" - like, duh as if I should know that the writer strike has anything to do with the announcement of winners from films and TV shows that were made and produced way before the writers began their strike. Seriously, did everyone know that but me? How's this strike going on so long. I'm guessing that since the shows are being produced, camera guys, makeup artists and set designers are also out of a job. Surely, with that many people being hit this hard, it would come to a resolve.
Anyway, back to the TV talk. So, Jared and I watched the one hour winner announcement special and we have to say. We liked it SO much better than the 4 hour version! Especially with a DVR. We watched the whole thing in a matter of 20 minutes. I would have been so upset if I would have wasted my time on the actual golden globes since 1) I didn't know half the people who were nominated or the majority of the shows that were nominated 2) I had other DVR shows that I needed to watch, like American Gladiators.
Which brings me to my main thought on this post. American Gladiators. Is it wrong that at playgroup a few weeks ago, a few of us moms giggled at the thought of this classic show returning.
I remember many nights sitting around watching it with baited breath. Oh, the rings always made me so nervous and I always wanted to try the one with blasting the guns at the target. I loved that show and I am thrilled that it's returned. All of the episodes are new and it takes me back to my younger, carefree (home on a Saturday night)days. I asked Jared if he thought I could be a gladiator and he answered with a "what? I was chewing, I didn't hear the question."
Hmm, what would my gladiator name be? I'd like to think it would something like Venom or Stealth but I'm guessing I'd get the name Jello or Pixie...
We are mourning new episodes of our favorites but we're hanging in there with shows like Gladiators, Apprentice and Biggest Loser. I wish I knew how long this strike was going to last. I could cancel my cable and save a few bucks and increase my Netflix subscription and catchup on shows I never got into like 24 or 30 Rock. Better yet, I could finish Gone With the Wind so my life could really move on.
What's getting you through these tough times??
9 comments:
I know sydney! It's driving me crazy too. I have just been watching the biggest looser, american idol and dance wars. There have been some occasional new episodes of Ugly Betty which I love too.
Sydney,
I had no idea you aspired to be an American Gladiator. I must admit, I think you *might* get your trash kicked. You are kind of a girly-girl aren't you? That isn't a bad thing... unless you want to be on American Gladiators.
You know how I am dealing with the strike? I don't have TV at all (I have a TV, just no service). I don't like the influence it has on the kids and it wastes *so* much time.
I know, crazy huh? You could read a book...
Damon- I'd totally get my trash kicked. No question about it. It's not that I aspire to be an american gladiator, but I'd love to be what they represent. In SHAPE!
As far as the no TV thing. I'll think about that....I think I'm pretty well balanced. I read several books a month, I play with my kids, and yes, I do indulge in some good TV watching. I'm sure if I was a student and didn't have time for such luxury, I too would eliminate it but for now, it's my escape and I quite enjoy it- even if it does waste my time!
Becca- I enjoy Ugly Betty and American Idol has been pretty entertaining too!
YES! The strike totally sucks! The production companies need to bring an end to this disaster and give the writers what is rightfully theirs!
I think you should absolutely do it though. CANCEL CABLE! Don't be a total lunatic like Damon and completely get rid of TV though. That's just weird. (Love you Damon!)
And just quit Gone With the Wind now. Save yourself the disappointment. My mom has read it every summer since she was 15. She obviously loves it. It's one thing we just don't see eye to eye on. Of course, you loved The Poisonwood Bible, so maybe it'll be one of those things we don't see eye to eye on either... ;)
Rach- I'd love to cancel cable but then I'd have NO TV. Remember where I live??? You can't just get a basic plan- at least I can't find where. It's either all or nothing and frankly, I don't know if could do nothing (you remember where I live right.)
I think we're not going to see eye to eye on Gone With the Wind. I'm loving it so far.....
hmmm...I haven't had any time to watch t.v lately beacuse I spend so much time fixing my identity theft problems. I don't have a clue which shows are and aren't on, although I suprised myself for getting into Gladiators the other night. At least you have a book to keep you busy.
Sydney,
Sorry I was a little over-zealous with the no tv rant. I am not on a crusade or anything and didn't mean to offend. I do my time wasting on the internet. :)
Sheesh, now that I read my post again, I should have just stuck my foot in my mouth and got it over with.
I am totally with you about getting in shape. I'm back in the gym monday.
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't do anything but watch TV. I feel really dumb and didn't intend to sound mean about tv.
mea culpa
Rachel -
Ok, here is the deal. I overplayed my position. I actually would rather have *some* tv over *no* tv but I can't justify the expense for how much we would use it. AND, I really like my kids do less TV watching.
In other words, I think the cost (both financial and moral) of cable/satallite tv exeeds the value so I choose to underpay and forgo the luxury altogether rather than overpay and mitigate the damage.
I obviously represented myself poorly on the topic and will think much harder before flippantly posting my badly represented views.
go easy on me girls.
Oh Damon- really, all is well. I didn't take offense, I think it's pretty funny how lightly you're treading. It's almost like you get in trouble a lot with your pregnant wife:)
Thanks Sydney,
Hmmm... You have good pregnant lady instincts. I'll survive though, I spend a lot of time at school and I probably deserve it somehow. :)
I just thought it was pretty rude to show up on your blog and say something inconsiderate right off the bat. I should wait a few weeks to really offend you eh?
Anyway, glad we are cool. Thanks.
Post a Comment