Friday, January 25, 2008

Miss America.....tomorrow night

I remember as a young girl watching Miss America with my mom and being completely wowed and impressed. Maybe it's what brought me to compete in my town's local preliminary when I was a senior in HS.....hhmm.

Well, I was watching Miss America Reality last night (catching up on some DVR) and had NO idea that Miss America is on tomorrow night!!!

Now, to some of you this may bore you so please skip down a few paragraphs and for others you'll wonder why I know this and I admit, I've done my homework. Now several years ago Miss America was not picked up by any network. The ratings had been falling and the pageant was feared that it would be gone forever! CMT picked it up for 2 years and honestly, the past two years I haven't even known it's been on. Well this year, TLC picked it up, turned it into a reality show in the hopes to completely overhaul the image of Miss America.

The reality show had the girls live together for one month where they were completely stripped of everything they had been trained to do (sequins, big hair, loads of makeup, rehearsed answers, walk, etc.) and now the Miss America Organization is looking for a completely different girl than in the years past. They want someone "all American" who appeals to all different people.

So to find out if they accomplished this and if they actually pick a girl who is a little more "non-pageant" like, you'll want to watch Miss America tomorrow night.

So, as a "Friday Flashback" in honor of Miss America, I found this lovely picture of me (and a fellow blogger) at our local pageant 12 years ago. This pageant was for the most part fun and a rewarding experience. The pageant I did after this one was one of the worst experiences of my life and anyone who wants to pay for my therapy session can know why!

So, whatever you think or don't think of The Miss America organization is up to you. For me, it's some good TV watching every year and I'm sure this year will be no exception.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

I LOVE pagents. Always have always will. Thanks for updating me on the Miss America info. I am going to DVR it right now.

Tracy said...

ffYay! Someone else that likes Miss America!! I have always been fascinated by the pageant. What a great picture of you! I would love details on the following pageant though. :)

Tracy said...

don't know where the "ffyay" came from - a simple "yay" was all that was suppose to come out.:) sorry!

Zipporah said...

Cute picture! I was never a big pageant fan, but loved watching them with you. ...Wish you were here!

Unknown said...

haha whoa flash back!!
I love you. You're funny! But don't you worry because come 8:00 tomorrow night you will find me hosting a Miss America party without men. You're invited.

Rachel said...

That photo of you guys is so stinkin' funny! Ah, the world of 35mm film and red eye. You're all a little Carrie-esque. Only in that photo though! I was there in real life, and you all looked beautiful.

And thanks for the info. If I had cable I would actually watch Miss America this year. I can only imagine the cat-fights. Maybe I can catch it on-line???

And what was the deal with Miss Utah? I had no idea it was so traumatic. How did I not know this!?

Becca said...

What a great picture of you! I do love the miss american pagent. You are gonna have to give the lowdown on why you need therapy because of that second pagent. I am very curious.

Sue said...

I grew up watching Miss America with my mom and sisters every year. Since I'm in a houseful of boys, I try to steer away from television with girls in swimwear, so I haven't watched in years.
I love the picture of you. If only high school was a mere 12 years ago. :) You look so pretty in the picture! Thanks for sharing.

Kati said...

Love the picture! Why didn't you like Miss UTAH? You really must share. Unless of course it will put you into the fetal position, sucking your thumb and mumbling things about Nannette Pearson. I can't believe you didn't go for the title of Miss Utah as many times as she did. You would have won it for sure eventually.

Kati

Jami Steele Davis said...

You in a pageant. I am loving the visual imagery there. So how was the Miss America pageant? Was it better than it has been? please share.

GarrGroup said...

Ok so I'm actually going to admit that I watched it also. I haven't watched a pagent for years, however, Miss Utah was from my hometown and I think she is truly amazing. So I was at the gym today and right next to me was Jill Stevens (Miss Utah). So, of course, I had to chat with her for a second. I was so impressed by her. Loved the pushups that she did when she was booted off. She is also coming to speak to our Stake this weekend. If anyone is in Layton they should come.