A Cake and a Call
I'm not organized enough this year to have gotten a birthday party together for Gibson. Since his birthday falls during the week, we decided to have a few family members who live in the area over on Sunday night for some cake and ice cream.
Gibson was in heaven with the attention all about him. Presents were brought {even though I asked for them not to be} the cake was eaten and it was over in about 32 minutes! My kind of party!
I found a darling idea for a cake online with the idea to recreate Andy's bedroom. So, I gave my feeble attempt at it. Honestly, the cake was pretty jumbled but it didn't matter, as soon as Gibson saw the cake, he reorganized the figurines in the way he thought they should look in the "room." {sigh}
However, the cake ended up being delicious! It was a recipe I found online and it was divine! It was a brownie/cake combo and the cake was all but gone after the party! I'll post the recipe because it's definitely a keeper.
The birthday party was the second family affair of the day. About an hour earlier we met at my parents house for a small BBQ for my brother's birthdays and for my little sister to open her MISSION CALL!!
Yep, my little sister Erin decided she's going to serve a mission for our church for the next 18 months! She had all but figured out she was going state side {apparently the size of the envelope tells you this} and she was right!
All day long as I anticipated her opening her call, I couldn't help but get some tears in my eyes. She's going to be a great missionary. She's loud, she's not afraid to talk to people, she loves people and well, she loves the gospel. With all of that and how excited I am for her, I couldn't help but think how much I'm going to miss her!
I'll try not to think about that now. I have until December 3rd with her and since she's semi unemployed, I've already hired her as an unpaid assistant!
So Happy Birthday Gibson and congrats Erin!
Devil's Food Chocolate Cake
1 1/4 c. boiling water
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
1/4 cup cocoa powder
add chopped chocolate and cocoa to boiling water, stir and let cool to room temp.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Sift together in bowl.
2 sticks unsalted butter- softened
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 large eggs {room temperature}
1/2 c. sour cream or plain yogurt {room temperature}
Mix together in mixing bowl until creamy.
Add half of chocolate mixture, then flour mixture, remaining chocolate mixture and remaining flour mixture.
Beat until creamy.
Pour into desired pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating pan half way through.
Quick Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 T whipping cream
Mix butter and sugar adding a little cream until you get desired consistency. Add vanilla.
{I made chocolate buttercream for Gibson's cake so I omitted the vanilla and added cocoa powder until I got desired chocolate taste}
This cake would also be delicious with a chocolate ganache or even whipped cream on top. Fudgy and delicious cake!
11 comments:
I totally know what you mean, My sister just got back in August, we missed her but you know they are doing the right thing so ya try not to miss them tooo much!!
she may be going state side, but she's headed down this way, and let me tell you, it's a WHOLE new world 'round these parts. yay for Erin!
happy birthday Gibson! i hope you got away with losing your grandma's Woody doll for your birthday. :)
(Syd, what did you do with that post? it was too cute!)
Where do you exactly find these "unpaid assisstants?" :) Lucky for you!! How exciting for her--and her mission call!
I can't believe Erin is old enough to go on a mission. Dang, I am getting SO old. I am so excited for her! I am a huge advocate of girls serving missions, just because I had such an awesome experience of my own. Tell Erin congrats for me. I am sort of jealous .. wish I could go again! (Brian and I do plan on serving together when we reach the old fart stage of life! LOL)
YEAH!!! But I AM a little sad. Why won't those silly brothers of mine ask her out??? (well, one did and he had a great time, but she "moved back to Moab" - like 3 hours can STOP a relationship!)
They have another 18 months of me reminding them how cool she really is. Tell her congrats!
ha ha... uh thanks everyone... :)your great... ha!! oh boy oh boy!! Well first off I must say... I should not have read this at work... tears did start forming, which blew my cover of slacking off... and syd I think those tears of yours were tears of joy because you know you will be babysitting Suzy Q. second thing- not going to lie, the picture looks like I am converting people into the underworld... yeah... well sydney i love you so much! thanks for all your support- really. your an amazing sister, and i am going to miss you too.
We are still waiting for the recipe for the cake.
Unpaid sister assistants are the best!! I have been enjoying my sister in law as one for about two weeks now!! Can't wait to try that cake recipe. Don't forget to post it!
Hello Condie's! Your boys are darling and I love your blog. Love, Amy
Love Gibson's smile. Happy Birthday Gibson and cute cake and congrates to your sister.
Post a Comment