Friday, September 5, 2008

The Fruits of my Labors



I canned for the first time today.
It was a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be.
It was messier than I thought it would be.
I got 27 jars, my SIL Emilee got 31 and Amanda got 27
As of today, I'm not sure I'd do it again. (My mom said to wait for winter to make that statement, she thinks once I start enjoying the peaches I'll be all over it next year)
However, they do look pretty and if I judge the amount that Easton has already consumed, I'm guessing they are pretty good too!

14 comments:

Becca said...

I miss canning. It's a lot of messy work but canned peaches and pears are so yummy. That's one thing that I miss about the Northwest. My guess is that you will do it again.

Jessica said...

I want to learn to can too. I love the preschool cupcakes!

Kati said...

I am so proud of you.
And, your mom is right. Just wait untin next year...your kids won't let you NOT make them again. My kids LOVE them. It is a lot of work! Great job!

Zipporah said...

Very impressive! I would love canned peaches so that I could have peach cobbler anytime. Yummm!

More Caffiene, Please said...

Okay, my mother-in-law is here and brought me boxes of canning jars and I'm going to to peaches and salsa. What recipe did you use? And those cute cupcakes are to die for!

Florrie said...

Wow. Impressive. I have never canned anything in my life....maybe it's time to learn....

The Wright's said...

It IS a lot of work, however I love to can stuff. Seriously. It is SO MUCH WORK but I always feel nostalgic while doing so - it's comforting that amiss all the changes in the world canning is the same as it was 40 years ago. And they look so yummy.

Rachel said...

PLEASE send me a jar. PLEASE!!!!!

Renee said...

Aren't they so much better than the soggy stuff you buy at the store? Way to beef up your food storage. That's if they can last that long!

GoatesGirl said...

Good on ya! I'm jealous...when I was little I LOVED my moms canned peaches. YUM!

The Barton Family said...

Wow you are ambitious. I tried canning once and never did it again!

Bestboy said...

I had no idea you were so domestic...just kidding. I remember that I always ate my mom's storage of peaches and pears growing up. There is nothing better than canned green beans, tomatoe sauce (spaghetti), and salsa. I think you're going to find that next year you will be doing it all over again.

Gloria Van Orden said...

i just got done doing my own peaches. i decided this year that you need to do it with two other women so you can keep the process going also you have other kids to help entertain your kids. another great thing is peach fruit leather. have you guys sold your house here yet, and have you found a new one yet?

Jami Steele Davis said...

we have been doing the same thing here-it is a lot of work, but we do it every year!!!