Sunday, September 28, 2008

Filling My Canteen

Last night I had the opportunity to attend the LDS Conference Center for the first time. I went with my sisters-in-law and my mother-in-law. It happened to be Maryann's 24th birthday so we ate dinner at Olive Garden before heading to Salt Lake.

Besides the fact that I was blown away by the monstrosity of the building; yet how quickly we were able to get in the doors and the fact that with over 16,000 people, I didn't have to wait in line to go to the bathroom- I was honored and humbled to be in the same vicinity as our dear LDS prophet and his counselors.

For the 90 minutes I sat in my seat, my canteen was filled. I was reminded what sacred responsibility I have to be a woman and to be a wife and mother. I was encouraged to serve and to give more of myself.  I was told of the beginning of the Relief Society and how the vision of Emma Smith is still being brought forth.

I loved listening to Elder Uchtdorf. Perhaps a few words he spoke hit me the hardest. He quoted J.M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan, "Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others, cannot keep it from themselves."

With a full canteen, a thought in my head and a prayer in my heart, I'm going to try better to serve, to love and to bring sunshine into the lives of others!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so exciting that you got to go to that!! I have yet to listen to it because you see Jenn and I were completely distracted with Gossip Girls that I forgot that it was that night. oops. and oh ps... I just want you to know that in the younger generations "Filling your canteen" means something completely different... kinda set me back when I saw that. and sydney I am trying to fill my canteen too... before my long long drought... :)

Zipporah said...

That is awesome that you got to go to the conference center. I felt the spirit so much when we all sang the hymn together and I can imagine how powerful it must have been to be there in person. I loved Elder Uchtdorf's talk too and decided that I shouldn't be so critical of myself.
-I love your hair, by the way. : )

510Jen said...

Wow the conference center. Lucky you! I too loved this broadcast. Left feeling very uplifted.

Going blonde again? You look great! Isn't change fun.

Shelley said...

What a wonderful evening. Jake was out of town so I unfortunately had to listen online, but thankfully the spirit of the message was the same.

Lindsay said...

That is one thing I really miss about living in Utah...being so close to the 'action'. I'm glad you were able to go.

Hey, your sister is going to my mission! Granted I got back 9 years ago (yikes!) so it has probably changed some, but it's the best mission ever.

The Wright's said...

That was my favorite quote too.

Glad you got to go.

Laurie said...

You ALWAYS bring SUNSHINE!!!!! Miss you!

Cassie said...

Wish I could have been there with you all. I looked for you while I watched it at the Stake Center. The gospel is such a blessing.