Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I DID it!

I ran in the St. Patricks Day 3.5 mile run in a tiny little town about an hour from us. I ran the ENTIRE 3.5 miles (which for you runners is nothing, but for ME, this is huge)!! My goal time was 40 minutes and I ran it in 35.44, almost exactly a 10 minute mile pace (which again is HUGE for me, on the treadmill I usually can do a 12-14 minute mile).

It was FREEZING. The temp was 36 degrees. Snow was on the ground but I turned on the iPod and off I ran.

So YEAH for me! The downside is, now I know I CAN do it. So I really have no excuse for not running at least 3.5 miles straight before I walk!

22 comments:

Heidi said...

Way to go! You and Jared will have to come and run the Wasatch Back Relay (Ragnar) with us. We run it with Anna and Todd and both families. You know you can do it.
Heidi

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

congrats, sydney! i am right at the same pace/distance you are right now so i can totally relate. as proud as i am of every faster time or longer distance it stinks because then i know i can do it and i feel i need to do it every run. i'm doing a 10K (6.2 miles) in june through mud and up mountains. i think i'm gonna die, but i'm excited to try. i'm so excited for you!

Prince's said...

ok so i won't tempt you to the wasatch back but what about the provo canyon 10 miler sometime in June. Other than that congrats! on doing it and finishing.
Princes

Unknown said...

Good for you Sydney!! I am impressed. I have hopes of doing a triathalon one of these days, but do you see me out there running or biking or swimming. NO. Maybe I will go out there one day like you and actually do it!! Good JOB!

Kara said...

Hey Syd way to go. I wish somedays I could run but even when I am not pregnant I know I won't for awhile. Good job! Keep it up.
Kara

Amanda said...

That is so awesome. I just started running on the treadmill and it is totally kicking my butt! That is so great. I am very proud of you. I hope to one day have a story of my own to share.

More Caffiene, Please said...

Good job! Running is evil but I will admit I'm getting into it as well. But I still hate it. Hate it. hate it.

The Wright's said...

Now I am impressed!! Way to go sister! But just cause you CAN do it, doesn't mean you should! Walk a little now - you deserve it!

Kati said...

Good For YOU!!!!!
Congrats!

GoatesGirl said...

Syd-that's awesome. Good time too. I'm proud of you. Good work, did ya have fun?

Michelle Baird Designs said...

Sydney, I think that is awesome. Are you addicted yet to running? Way to go.
Michelle

tj said...

Well you know I'm proud of you since I love running. Congrats!!

Tara said...

YAY! How fun! (The being finished with it part, I mean.) Good for you! Don't feel like you HAVE to run the whole 3 miles before you walk, though... you'll get burned out much more easily! I did a half marathon with walking breaks every 10 minutes, and I can promise you I do not look back and think it would have been better if I had run the whole time. No, my friend, I look back and think, "DANG! I ran 13 miles!! Was I smoking CRACK?!"

I'm so proud of you!!!

Running makes me pregnant, by the way, so watch out...

Tara said...

Just re-read my comment...I have to add (out of pride/vanity) that my walking breaks were only 1 minute each, and they usually coincided with a water stop.

But my original point stands: walking once in a while should NOT be a deterrent to pushing on!! You're a stud for getting out there!

:-)

leslie said...

just e-mailed you but i hadn't seen this post yet so i didn't get to say.... wahooooooo!! good job, syd!!! don't you LOVE that high you get just after finishing a race!!! a few more races and you'll be chasing that high..... way to go!!

510Jen said...

Good job Syd! So proud of you.

Rachel said...

YOU ROCK!
I also think you're sort of insane. But totally the good kind of insane. ;)

Becca said...

That's awesome Sydney! Good for you.

Sue said...

Congratulations! That's so great. Marathon next?

Zipporah said...

You are awesome Syd! I'm thinking of doing a marathon in the fall. Do you want to join me?
I'll never forget when you were my Bally's workout partner. I miss those days. ....As I miss exercising. I haven't exercised for three weeks and am starting to go crazy!!! Hope you are doing well. Can't wait to see you!

Damon said...

Well done. I won't run that far unless someone is chasing me with a gun and even then I might just let them shoot me. Running bites goat butts.

thekerrclan said...

Way to go! You should be very proud.