Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Aunt Phyllis, an exceptional lady

We had an unexpected trip to Utah last weekend to attend the funeral of Jared's aunt Phyllis. As I sat in the hallway during the funeral (courtesy of taking a one year old) and listened to her friends and brother pay tribute to her life, I was struck by a few sentiments of her life.

She was a civilian teacher for the Air Force for over 20 years. Jared was asked by his mom to wear his uniform which he proudly did.

Phyllis served as relief society president SEVEN times! She was serving as one when she passed away. A few days before she died (she died of cancer) she was found at her kitchen table holding a meeting discussing visiting teaching and the sisters in her ward.

While she lived in Europe she traveled over 150 miles one way to visit teach the sisters on her list...every month!

She was full of compassion and charity and spent countless hours serving others.

I didn't really know Phyllis since we've been gone 7 of the 8 years we've been married but she did makes some incredible jam that we looked forward to each and every Christmas.

Phyllis was an incredible lady and even though I didn't really know her, I know that. Everyone we ran into and have talked to speak about her in the highest regard. She had charity like none other I've met and was dedicated to the Lord and served him without complaining and without question.

We know she is no longer in pain and that her work here on this earth was done. We are sad to no longer see her but the lessons she taught us by her actions will continue to live on in each of us.

Grandpa Condie comforting Jessica and Sean

The boys got to wear their Easter outfits a few days early. We attempted to get a family picture- this is as good as it got!

Gibson and his cousin Sam were enjoying the nice weather. They were playing action hero's. Notice how Gibson is shooting like Buzz Lightyear!



I love tender moments like these.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like a one of kind sort of lady. So sorry for your loss.

Your boys look darling by the way. I love the sweaters. And Syd, LOVE the jacket and the ear bling. Super cute. Oh, and Jared... lookin' mighty fine in uniform sir.

Heidi said...

Sorry for your family. You all look very nice. Sydney you look beautiful. Love the photos of the kids. Priceless.

Unknown said...

That is really sad. I'm sorry!
I love the pictures though! I'll be so happy when you guys move back to Utah so I can see you every time I go home.
So hurry! I'm going home today...you'll be there right? If you leave now you'll make it before I do.

Kara said...

Sorry to here about Jareds aunt. It took me a minute to put it all together that she was relief society president of the ward I am in before the re-aligned a couple of years ago. She was spoken of in the highest regard by everyone that knew her in my ward. Wish I would of had the opportunity to know her.

Your boys are darling.

Kara

Tara said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like there was a beautiful celebration of a beautiful life.

And... you are gorgeous! Hot hubbie... most adorable kids on the planet. You should seriously submit that last photo in some contests. You're great at capturing their moments.

I'm going to try to call you again tomorrow... I suppose I can't fault you for not returning my call if your numbers were all lost. :-) (I wouldn't fault you anyway...)

Our computer crashed recently and I'm still learning about things that are gone forever. Technology makes us SO vulnerable.

So. I hope we can talk for real. SOON.

miss you!!!!

grandma C said...

Thank you Syd, you captured the events of the day in a special way. Could you email Jared's picture? Thanks. Love you. Marylou