It seems everytime I turn on the TV or log onto the Internet I read or hear something about the environment and "Going Green". A few months ago for book club I read the Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. After reading that book and after seeing the constant ads for lightbulbs, hybrid cars, recycling, etc. I decided our family needs to do our part. So, I bought new lightbulbs.
Fact: If every American home replaced just one light bulb with an Energy Star qualified bulb, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year, more than $600 million in annual energy costs, and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars.
Fact: You save about $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulb's lifetime. The average U.S. household has 45 light bulbs; replacing that number of 75-watt incandescent bulbs with CFLs would save $180 per year.
Fact: CFL bulbs produce about 75 percent less heat, so they're safer to operate and can cut energy costs associated with home cooling.
Not too shabby huh?
Our city also recycles which I've never done because I've never known how. Stupid reason I know. Not anymore. I washed out our recycle bin, asked for paper bags at the grocery store and now I throw our empty milk cartons, OJ cartons and other plastics into the bag and put them on the curb with our regular trash. It's not much but I do feel better about trying to make a difference.
Speaking of the earth. Has anyone seen Planet Earth on the Discovery Channel? Awesome show, great for families and some of the images and storylines will blow you away. Our earth is amazing!! Check it out. I know it airs on Sundays but not sure if it also runs throughout the week.

7 comments:
Syd I love it I have been thinking alot about this lately. I just might have to try the lightbulb thing!
Speaking of cool earth things, check out google earth it is a 3d map of the earth, you can zoom in on your house if ya want.
i saw something about this on ellen today... definetly gunna be changing my bulbs! something else i learned... if everyone (in ellen's studion audience ;) turned the water off while brushing their teeth, in one year, it would save 1/2 million gallons of water! GO GREEN!!!
Good for you on the going green! We're totally with you on that one. Even "Mr. Republican, the environment is the least of our issues" Alex sees the logic in recycling. He was actually the one who went out and bought our bulbs. Maybe by the time we're ready for a new car they'll have that hybrid minivan!!! :o)
I too have read "The Poisonwood Bible". Luckily, Lyndhurst let's you recycle about anything so we do our cereal boxes (pretty much all boxes), plastics, bottles, and the list goes on. I haven't tried those light bulbs though. You know how the old house are here. Our wiring is rotting so I'm sure that doesn't help the environment much. Landlord's....
Loved this post - we just got a recycle bin as well and CJ loves sorting everything.
Loving the Planet Earth series as well - we gave our dads the DVDs for Father's Day.
And, to answer your trampoline question, my awesome mother-in-law hauled it up here for us. We just need the safety net and pads!
I'm terrible! I do have some of those lightbulbs, but only use them in the garage I think. I'm going to do better, thanks for motivating me.
Post a Comment