


This week I had ECST training aka (pre-deployment training). My cycle for deployment is coming, however, not sure if I am going, but always being prepared is important. I learned all sort of fun stuff. Some stuff I am not suppose to mention, but especially fun was the M-16 training. These next couple of photos I am loading the M-16, blending in, and staying low. It does look like fun but the parts that weren't so fun were avoiding snakes, ants, the HOT sun (while wearing some heavy gear), and cleaning the M-16 after we were done. It took an hour to clean the guns before my group past the inspection. Hope you all enjoy the pictures.


I went through about 120 rounds.


9 comments:
Sounds like you're having fun playing army guy. We hope you don't have to ever use these skills over in Iraq.
Wow Jared! I am really impressed. It puts things in perspective. Scarey that you could be deployed. But, good that you have "Skills" - not numbchuck (sp) skills, but even cooler skills. But to be able to defend and protect our country is wonderful. Scarey for Sydney. She must be brave. You are great Sydney. Keep up the practicing and hopefully these skills aren't needed!!!
okay Koodos to you that looks like it Sucks!!!! Your a brave kid jared .Like heid says hope you don't need to use that gun. And I'm sure you won't have a problem cleaning the dirt out of your teeth.
Ok did-o for what Heidi and Mich say. All I can say is wow!!!!! So is the red gun a squirt gun or what??
and next question is that live ammo?? and next question who are you shooting at?? and next question how often do you "get" to do this stuff?????
All I can say is you guys are awesome. We would be in big trouble if nobody was willing to do what our military does. Such brave, good people. Stay safe ok. If that is live ammo don't forget to duck!
very cool pics jared!!! not so cool if you get deployed though... i'll keep my fingers crossed!
Karen, the red gun is a rubber gun. Last year they broke a lot of guns using real M-16s to do combat stuff(hitting the sand bags).
When we used the real M-16, we would fire blanks. Blanks give you the feel for the noise with the obvious benefit of not killing your airmen. Although, you are not allowed to shoot at anyone within 20 feet of you. They tell us to just call out "safety kill". Anyway, It gets to be a very loud exercise. Especially, since we practice right next to the flight line, where the F-15 were taking off ALL DAY (very cool to watch!). Every so often we would have to pause on the radios because we couldn't hear b/c of the jets taking off. Literally, they were about a 250 yards away from us. It really makes it feel real. They had instructors in the field who would call out who was dead and then there was all sorts of training with trying to gather the wounded and the dead.
The training is given to everyone right before deployment.
Karen,
We shot at each other. The picture of me and the 13 other guys is when I was playing the enemy. It was about 12 againist 60. We didn't survive very long.
Ohhhhhhhh. Wow that all sounds pretty intense. Do you train every weekend for a period of time, or just now and then? When you shoot at each other do you know when you have been hit? Sorry all the questions. It is real interesting to me and a little scary too. It is so good that they help you get ready for whatever. I think you can feel safer if you know what to expect. Hopefully the biggest weapon you will have to use if you go is your trusty drill. Bizzzzzz.
P.S. Thanks for the complement. It made my day. I am guessing John Buffo or Ryan Strong am I right?
Karen, The ECST training usually comes up 90 days before anyone leaves on deployment. Meaning that even if you have deployed 5 or 6 times, every time you go you have to retake it. Mine came up twice b/c my first class got cancelled due to weather and not enough people. They need at least 70 to 100 people at a time to do the training. It last for two to three days. Usually, trainings are done through the week and not on weekends. So, patient care suffers a bit, but it is nice every once in a while to get away from the dental clinic.
As far as the compliment went, my lips are sealed. :)
Post a Comment