Perspective
I had a tough weekend with my kids. We couldn't seem to find a balance with anything which led to lots of fights, lots of needy moments and a tired and short tempered momma.
Granted. My kids are 4 and 2. I should expect moments like these and in fact I do. Most of the time I can handle it but for some reason this weekend I was even at my breaking point.
Today I was grateful for the invite for Gibson to go to a friends house for a few hours. However, it left me a very sad Easton whom screamed, cried and threw a tantrum that he couldn't go as well. Oh, the balance. Oh, the injustice for only being 2 and having an older brother. I couldn't console him, which brought on a forced nap for both of us {yeah for Creed who jumped on the bandwagon and took his nap at the same time.}
My emotions have already been near the surface for a few days as my patience has been tested and as I have struggled with finding the balance of being a good mom and not giving in to every whim which then sets off a whine or a cry.....balance.
However, when I learned of the passing of Anne Creager I was stopped in my thoughts. The tears flowed freely and I had to say a prayer of thanks to my Heavenly Father for my children and for my health.
I met Anne when we lived in Cleveland. We were second year dental students and the Creagers were fourth year students. Anne and I were partnered up as visiting teachers in our church and so I had the privilege of being with her one on one every month.
Anne was honest, sincere, beautiful and radiated the love of Christ. She cared for the sisters we visited and it showed. She found a connection with each one of them and they opened up to her and allowed her to care for them and pray for them. I learned a lot from Anne just by observing her.
It's been over 6 years since I have seen Anne but the impression that she made on me has stuck. When I found out she was battling cancer I cried. I started following her blog and was uplifted and inspired just as I had been when I got to see her more often.
My heart breaks to learn that Anne lost her battle with cancer over the weekend. The tears won't stop flowing as I think of her husband and her three beautiful little girls.
The time I had with her was so short but the impact she had on me will be with me forever and I hope that I too will take her example and pass it on. That I'll be a little kinder, a little more compassionate and a little more patient.
For me and this day, I'm going to start with my boys. I'm going to remember that they are young and learning. They are energetic and full of life and it's up to me to teach them the importance of living and just how short our time on this earth is.
So thank you Anne for touching my heart the way you did. You will be missed.

3 comments:
I'm glad you were able to know such a great person, and I'm sorry she is gone. You wrote a very sweet tribute to her, Syd.
I clicked over to her blog and lasted about 3 posts before I couldn't see through my tears anymore. My heart aches for her family. I'm going to go smother my kids with loves now.
I think stories like this are so good for moms to hear. I think we all need a little more patience. A little more kindness and usually it needs to be given more in our very own homes. Thanks for the reminder. Sorry for the loss of your friend. It sounds like she was quite an amazing woman. She has left quite a legacy for her beautiful girls...
So sad. I am so glad I read this. I need to stop and realize how short life is. I am so sorry Syd. Those kids are adorable.
Post a Comment