Homemade Goodness
I've seen the ice cream ball in several catalogs over the years. The description makes it very tantalizing by suggesting you get together and roll it around a campfire or an afternoon at the park and after a few minutes, you have ice cream for all to share!
I was absolutely delighted when we got this ice cream ball as a gift for the 4th of July. There was an abundance of cousins here so I filled it up with the required cream, sugar and vanilla and envisioned the cousins sitting in a circle and gently rolling it to each other all the while singing patriotic songs.
Oh, that couldn't have been farther from what happened. I'll just say that wars erupted and threats were made and uncle Doug who is 6 ft something ended up holding it over his head so no one could fight over it. He passed between his two hands until it was done.
When it was done, it was delicious but there was enough in there for, well, one adult or maybe three children. The turmoil and tears that it caused just wasn't worth it.
Lesson Learned.
Or so you'd think.
Yesterday it was hot and we had cousins over to play. The troops were getting restless but I was trying to keep them outside since there was sleeping babies inside. "The ice-cream ball" I said to myself. Once again, I envisioned the boys lightly bouncing it on the trampoline all the while the cream, sugar and vanilla working it's magic and becoming a yummy goodness.
Nope. The ball sat alone on the trampoline. Somehow during the few minutes of interest by the boys, it became ice cream. I handed each kid a plastic spoon and they devoured it.
As you can tell by the picture. Easton was the last kid standing. He scooped out every frozen piece of cream and enjoyed it as much as he did the first.
So, the ice cream ball isn't a total loss. The process isn't as peaceful and fun as I imagined it would be but the end product is delicious and after all, isn't that what matters!
6 comments:
Hahaha....this post is hilarious. It made me chuckle! I've never heard of such a ball. :)
Next time, you can take a big coffee can, and then put a smaller one inside that with ice around it and the ingredients in the small can.... that probably doesnt make sense, but you can do a bunch of them so everyone gets a treat, and two people per "ball". We used to do it at family reunions all the time!
We bought one of these for Nicholas a couple of years ago. We ended up taking it to Lake Powell and were soooo excited to try it out. We were pretty disappointed too. It needs to be about twice the size.
Love it! Especially the part about singing patriotic songs...oh the visions we have. Good thing life happens instead, to make things exciting!
Who invented that thing? I am laughing so hard at this funny story especially in the end the amount for one adult! Love it!
My parents gave each of my siblings and I one of those things for Christmas a few years ago. We've since taken it camping (which seems like the best time to do something like that since you don't have a whole better things to do than sit around kicking a ball around.)
My brother took his apart, put Christmas lights in it and hung it in his room like some sort of funky disco ball.
So yeah- I know what you are talking about. :)
Post a Comment