Thursday, May 28, 2009

Consultant for hire


It was only about five years ago that I started baby shopping for myself.  Since I had a pretty posh job, I would spend hours a day reading reviews on baby products, researching prices and trying to figure out what the latest and greatest was all while trying to stay in the dental student budget.

I had the notion that bigger was better and if it was expensive, it meant it was good!

Last Saturday, Creed and I snuck away and went to babies-r-us. I had a gift card burning a hole in my wallet {or on the verge of getting lost} and we need a new stroller so I went to go get myself one.

I walked into the store and starting strolling down the aisle's. Yes, I strolled. I only had one child and he was sound asleep.  I took my time, looking at this and that and wondering what we needed and why some strollers cost $100's more than others, are they really worth it??

Anyway. 

There were SO many young couples registering for baby gear or checking out this and that. After all, I do live in Utah County also known as baby making capital of the world. 

In the stroller aisle, I couldn't help but want to shout "don't buy that monster of a stroller. You'll hate it. It will take up so much room in your car and you'll be pregnant again in a year and need a double stroller so just save your money and trunk space. Get this one."

Looking at bathtubs I wanted to tell them "don't buy that big bathtub that you'll use for two months, and then have to figure out where to store it for another few years, buy this little foam thing, you'll love it and it's so compact and look, it's only $4.99"

Same thing with high chairs, "Just buy the one that goes on a chair, it takes up less room and you'll use it longer"

My mind was a fountain of what I would call useful information.  Things I wish someone would have told us when we baby shopped. For now, that huge monster of a stroller, large bathtub and high chair have all been replaced by simple, smaller and less expensive counterparts. Oh, to pay for something twice.

So, I'm thinking about getting a job at babies-r-us. Surely, my opinion on baby gear will be everyone's opinion- right?  

Well I didn't get my stroller. It was out of stock and since the gift-card was still burning that hole, I ended up with an activity mat for the little guy and a few other "necessity's". Really, the bath mat was a necessity, the poor kid was starting to smell.

Am I the only one who has regretting or changed her opinion on baby gear? Maybe it's because with the third kid, the house is already full of toys and other treasures that take up space that I like compact things or the car has three car seats in it, who has room for a monster of a stroller when the umbrella stroller will do?

The point being....I'm for hire as a consultant, I have three kids....makes me qualified in my book! 

12 comments:

Casey said...

Oh Syd...If only you would have told me this BEFORE my first child. I totally agree!! I could have saved so much time, money, and creative debating skills with my husband to purchase these "must haves".

Jessica said...

I could not agree more...whats funny, I was telling these same 'truths' to my sister in law who is prego with her first...gotta have all the baby gear!! :)

The Kirby's said...

Wanted: Double stroller for one large child and one small child that will fit in my trunk, not cost the equivalent of a semester of school, and that I can actually navigate. Added problem, large child will likely outgrow said stroller soon, leaving us with -- the above stroller (yet to be purchased), the cadillac monster stroller/car seat combo, the single jogger, the bike trailer, and the umbrella stoller. Any suggestions? Seriously.

Rachel said...

Amen, Sista! The baby business is a good one to be in, I think. If only I could come up with some "must have" baby item (that really, nobody needs. Ever.)! I'd be rich!

thetaylors said...

Just a thought, I don't know how compact it is but the Phil and Ted inline stroller is made for a baby and toddler. I think you can even take the baby part off and just use it as a single stroller in the future. We see TONS of these in Moab, so I assume that people like them. Yes, we also have gone through our share of baby stuff. Just counting strollers, we have had 7!!

Laurie said...

laughing hysterically at this one...the difference...I would have said something...you probbaly polietly said nothing! Truth be told...I have never owned a high chair...except the one that goes on the chair...I have never owned a stroller other than the cheap single light weight pop up or the umbrella..and I think the activity mat that stores neatly under my bed is the best thing ever. So I have repented of begruding the big stollen excersauser and could not agree with you more....and yet with baby #3 for us...what did we get...the new..too big bathtub... the excersausers of all excersauers...the bassinet that rocks and has music...and the supper swing with all of the bells and whistles...and guess what...not one of them has ever had batteries in them. So...we have all of the good big stuff this go around and truth be told..we were just as well of crammed in our little 2 bedroom apt with not much of anything. I think you SHOULD write a book Syd. Truth be told I think you'd make a good consultant on a large number of things...love the title already "Consultant for Hire"...and then have multiple chapters focusing on different areas of your expertise!!!

Amanda said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I have bought all the same things twice and have been much happier with the smaller models. The high chair is a must. Who wants that monster of a thing taking up so much space in your kitchen. When you have a huge stroller there is no room for shopping bags.

The Wright's said...

LOL!! I totally, completely agree! Although, I am the mother that freely gives my opinion (imagine that) in the stores. Then I get real mad when they still put the bulky, expensive item in their cart. So maybe it's a good thing I don't work at Babies R Us!!

Holly said...

It's funny how much you think you know before you have kids--and with each one, you find out you knew nothing....and sometimes that even though by the numbers you should have it all figured out, your next child comes along and throws you for a loop.

The Barton Family said...

Syd, I forgot your blog went private and I haven't been peeking in on you! I missed a lot! Your baby slept through the night before mine did- I am so jealous! Anwyay- I TOTALLY share your opinion on baby stuff. You should of handed out all that advice- I would of listened to you and my wallet would of thanked you. Got any ideas on how to save money on weddings!?! We have will have four of those one day.

Kati said...

I think you would be a FANTASTIC consultant. My problem is that I had my kids so far apart, I would forget from one kid to the next. I think I ended up buying everything times 3. Good thing we are done!

gillian said...

I LOVE giving my opinion on anything! I am getting better at waiting to be asked, but with 4 pregnant friends I am not buying them things from their registries because they obviously do not need those bottle warmers or high chairs.
Now to ask you - did you ever buy a walker? I'm considering one for Hank because unlike Maddy he likes to move around and the exersaucer (we didn't buy it) isn't cutting it.