Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Birthday Party complete with the easiest, yummiest brownies you've ever had!

We finally were able to get the family together and celebrate Easton's 2nd birthday. I've struggled with the "need" to have a birthday party and the pure "desire" to have one since he didn't choose to be born 2 weeks before Christmas, and as friend who has a December birthday said "December birthdays seem to get forgotten" I thought as simple as it may be, we were going to have a party!

And simple is what I did!


We ordered take-out from a local Mexican Restaurant, had chips and salsa and brownies and ice cream!  

Easton wasn't too sure of the whole thing and luckily he had cousins and an older brother to help him unwrap a few presents.


These brownies are the best! Try some..Today.. They are called Symphony Brownies and the recipe is from Paula Dean. In short, here's what you do.

Buy a prepackaged brownie mix
Buy 3 King Size Symphony Bars {I used toffee and almond}
Line a 9x13 pan with tin-foil

Prepare brownie mix as directed. Pour 1/2 in the lined pan, unwrap symphony bars and place side by side {as one big bar, no need to crumble, or break apart}- pour remaining brownie mix over symphony bars and bake! Mine needed a few extra minutes but that's it. LET COOL COMPLETELY- I'm talking hours! Once cool, take brownies out and flip over and remove tin-foil. Cut into bars.

I've had them with the plain chocolate symphony bars and they were good too. Next time I want to try and Cookies-n-Cream bars. Yummo!

He got exactly what he wanted. A few new cars, a scooter and a new Woody! Happy Birthday little man, we love you!

4 comments:

The Barton Family said...

Doing the birthday thing in Dec is just as insanly crazy as I thought it would be...but the whole Mother's guilt thing about being forgotten in the mist of the holidays keeps the drive to party away alive!! Wait till their old enough to know when there b-day is...

Rachel said...

Good job, mom! I think you get a free pass until they're 4 or 5, but still, good for you for giving him an official celebration.

I am totally impressed he can ride a scooter at 2. Lily got one this year, and can barely do it.

Oh, and by the way, December birthdays may tend to be forgotten (or combined with Christmas, which is WAY worse), but some of us with December birthdays shouldn't complain since we can't seem to remember anyone's birthday, no matter when it is!

Unknown said...

It's good that we can get away with it when they are that little. Those brownies look so YUMMY, I love Symphony bars and am going to have to try that! Thanks for sharing.

Cassie said...

Happy Birthday Easton! Wish we could have been there.
Thanks Sydney and Gibson for sending the nice cards and goodies up to Katie. She is using them and loved them.