Thursday, August 7, 2008

Where on earth am I going??



I never really thought about directions until I left Utah seven years ago. Living in Utah we have the grid system. If you're on Center street and you want to go to 3rd East, you head East and count 1,2,3 and you're on 3rd East. Simple as that. If you get lost, you go around the block. 

Moving to Cleveland all the streets have names. Not really in conjunction with one another- just a name. Hours were spent trying to go around the block when really, no block existed.

At least in Idaho, the streets were clumped together as in "bird names", "first names", etc.

So, now I'm back in Utah. I've had a couple of exact places to go. I don't know why finding 224 E. 1200 South is so hard for me but I've driven around, around and around trying to find these locations.  I have had to literally stop and think which direction I'm heading! It's so frustrating to me as I wonder, "where on earth am I going?"

On the positive note. In my driving around I've been able to rediscover Artic Circle! Now, you may cringe at the thought of another hamburger, fast food joint (my mom practically raised us ranch burgers, so Artic Circle holds a special place in my stomach.) Anyway, with children past the hungry point and myself needing a little substance, I went through the drive thru and got ourselves some kids meals and then ever  so yummy grape ricki!  

There's a few reason's why Artic Circle has won yet another place in my stomach.

 1) The kids meals were hot, not scalding! I sincerely hate it when I get food for my kids and I can't give it to them for 10 minutes while I wait for the steam to lift from the french fries. I'm all over fully cooked food and the right temperature but I'd rather wait at the window an extra five minutes then have to listen to my kids scream for food they can see and smell but can't eat because it's too hot!  Also, Artic Circle offers Corn Dogs in their kids meals! Oh yeah, my 20 month old, loves corn dogs. This makes me happy!

2) They give coupons! So with my meal, I got coupons for my favorite grape ricki (sprite with a splash of lime and grape flavoring). So I can return and this time save money!

So, I may not know where on earth I am going but I do know I'm going back to Artic Circle for a yummy drink and happy kids!

12 comments:

thetaylors said...

We love artic Circle too!!

Rachel said...

What? Are you really struggling to find your way around? That's crazy! Oh, and Arctic Circle? Where did you find and Arctic Circle? Were you lost in Spanish Fork?

Jessica said...

I loved utah when I had to navigate, all the cities I have traveled to that is the easiest to navigate.

wurstens5 said...

Oh,
I am so jealous. I love Arctic Circle! Every time I go back to Utah, I HAVE to go there I love it.

Becca said...

I always hate driving in Utah. Everyone says it makes perfect sense but I just don't get it!

Amanda said...

Lets not forget the free kiddie cones. They even dip them in chocolate.

leslie said...

ha! you are so funny.... remember the arctic circle by partyland!? loved their FRY sauce!!!!

Sydney said...

It's sad Rach but yes, I have been getting lost in Utah! It's really stretching my brain!

Amanda, I didn't know about free kiddie cones dipped in chocolate! Yum, I'm going to have to go there today!

Leslie, yes, i do remember our frequent trips to Artic Circle (among other memories of that place!) They still have the fry sauce and it's still as good!

Nancy/Bob said...

Sydney, I am glad that you have some memorird of growing up. None of you can remember the home cooked meals-Prime Rib- but you know where the best hamburgers are. Its good to know I taught you something. I was getting worried

Cassie said...

Artic circle is my favorite fast food. It reminds me of Utah. That picture makes me want to run out and grab a milkshake.

Holly said...

I have actually never been to Artic Circle. I guess it's time to go...

Nicole said...

I am the same way. Utah county seems so messed up! I was trying to find a cool park in Pleasant Grove, and there was a street sign with 2 different addresses on it. one for what the address would be for American Fork and another for what the address is in Pleasant Grove.
Why can't it be like Salt Lake addresses stretch out to the surrounding cities, like Draper is 160th south or something!

Syd, come by with the kids some time, and we can also have you guys over on a Sunday too!

I sent you an e-mail with my phn#