Friday, July 11, 2008

A Few Goodbyes........

This week I had to say a few goodbyes to some people that have made our time here in Idaho so wonderful.

Wednesday night I went to dinner with three good friends, Beth, Tricia and Dani. These gals are a few of the gals from our Friday playgroup that I just love to be around. All of their husbands are pilots and every 18 months they kiss them goodbye as they deploy to defend our country. That is one of the many reasons I love these gals and look up to them. They are dedicated military wives and it's through them that I've really learned to appreciate the sacrifice that military families make.

With these gals we can talk about anything and we do! We drop our kids off at each others houses and we each look forward to Friday's at 9:30 when we can get together for playgroup. Dani subscribes to People magazine and passes it to Tricia who passes it to me and I pass it to Beth! It's a great system! We've shared recipes and advice on pregnancy and parenting. I'm sure going to miss them!

I've been involved in 2 book clubs here and this is one of them. We were named the Thursday night book club because none of us could think of anything else! Very original were we. These gals were from church and it was so fun to have a reason to get together once a month and share recipes and talk about books! I could be myself around these gals and for me, thats what makes great friendships!
Today was mine and the boys last Friday playgroup. We met at the park and it wouldn't be Mtn. Home if it wasn't windy so we're all a little windblown in this picture! We were missing Gillian and Dani and of course a few others who've moved in the past few months.

Friday playgroup was my saving grace when we moved here. I happened to attend library time with Gibson and there was a pregnant lady across from me who was chatty and seemed like such a social butterfly and I remember thinking, "If only I was her friend." Well, who would of thunk it but I had signed up to attend book club through the Officers Spouses Club on base and the first meeting ended up being at this gals house! She answered the door and I knew that I had found a friend and that's just what I had found.

Tara and I instantly clicked. Her husband went to medical school at the same school Jared went to dental school. Her son was a few months younger than Gibson and at the time she was pregnant with her second son and due about 4 weeks before I was due with Easton. She invited me to a military playgroup that she had organized a few years earlier and I was SO excited and have rarely missed a week since! It's been a huge blessing in my life and the girls that I've met have become great friends of mine.

These are some of the kids. Of course since Gillian and Dani weren't there we were missing Princess Maddy and Kaden. Collin {far left} and Gibson are about six weeks apart and Easton, Mehren {2nd from right}, and Kaden are all about 3 weeks apart. So the kids have really grown up together in the past two years.

We LOVE this playgroup and we were very, very, very sad to say goodbye today.

Goodbyes are so bitter sweet. The bitter part is of course leaving everything we've had here for the past few years behind. Yet we're so excited to be moving forward and to be starting our forever life. I've always related well to Meg Ryan's character in the movie French Kiss when she's talking to Charlie about the big white house and she talks about settling down and building roots. I need roots too and with this move, we're finally going to be able to put some roots down and start watching them grow. That's the sweet part.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Goodbye's are definitely hard. Looks like you have some friends forever. Dito to the "ROOTS". I need some roots and I feel like it is time for me to settle down and find the roots I will be building my family on. Good Luck with the move. IT is going to be just great and new adventure to look forward to. Hey, at least when I get home to visit you won't be too far away. Love ya. Keep us posted when you finally leave and get settled.

Rachel said...

such a sweet tribute to your "gals!"

much as i can't wait to be home again, it will be really hard to leave some of the friends i've made here.

Kati said...

I'm not sad. You will be closer to me now!
lunch and pedi? Heck ya!
Call me when you are settled.

Brenda said...

Sydney,
I just wanted to thank you for being one of the first to extend a hand of friendship to me when we first got here last year. I have really enjoyed being your friend. I hope we can keep in touch and in that way I can dream a little of what it would be like to be able to settle down in Utah closer to family.

I wish you well with the move, the sale of your home, and Jared's new practice. Good luck and thanks!

Kath said...

I felt the same way when we left Oregon after law school. It is so hard to leave and part of you will always be in the place you leave behind. The best thing is that the friends we gain this way are usually the friends who make the biggest different in our lives. I feel for ya!