Saturday, December 1, 2007

a humbling sight

I had to run to Wal-mart this morning. I needed 2 items so I knew it would be a quick trip. As I turned into the parking lot I saw 4 fire trucks, a few squad cars, a few sheriff cruisers as well as ambulances, etc. All had their lights on and were parked in the fire lane directly in front of the store.

"Oh crap" were the first words that came to my head. Not for the poor individuals who were hurt or had a tragic moment inside Wal-mart but for me....I needed some things and Wal-mart is my only option.

I parked and walked in totally expecting police tape and someone signaling us to "keep moving" but instead what I saw brought tears to my eyes.

It was our local Shop with a Cop day for needy kids in my town. Everywhere I looked there were uniformed police officers, Air Force men and women and sheriff deputies armed with a shopping cart and a young child who was grinning from ear to ear. The shopping carts were filled with gifts for family members. Some kids had lists they were referring to and others were holding two items trying to compare so they could make sure and get the best present.

After they used their gift card to purchase all their gifts, they then went and had the gifts wrapped so they would be ready to put under the tree once they got home.

This really tugged at my heart strings. Jared and I are in no sense wealthy but I can say my kids have never gone without. My kids have everything they need to keep them healthy and warm. They have plenty of toys and usually are treated to a new toy every now and again "just because."

Seeing these needy kids today really made me realize how blessed I am and how blessed my children are. It made me want to do more for others in need, especially at this time of year.

So, I am going to find an angel tree and purchase something for someone else. It may be small but to the child who receives it, it might make all the difference this year.

So I'm challenging YOU to also do what you can for others. Forget those neighbor gifts and use that money to buy a kid a coat or pick up a name on your local angel tree and buy something small...if we all do something small, we'll make a BIG difference in the lives around us.

7 comments:

Lynnette said...

Very sweet Syd. There is a girl in our ward whose niece passed away from leukemia a couple of years ago and this gal now does a Christmas thing for all of the families at the Cancer Center every year. It is so neat because these are families that I wouldn't necessarily think about at this time of year. But when someone, especially a child, has cancer or other significant illness, the life of the rest of the family can in essence come to a stop. And they can lose so much from just trying to keep their child alive. It really makes you grateful for what you have. So, your challenge won't go unnoticed by us this year!

Becca said...

great idea sydney!

More Caffiene, Please said...

Loved this post. Chad got to do the shop with a Ute when he was on the football team and each player got to take one or two kids around the store and every year the child he had would agonize over what to buy - for his FAMILY members, not for himself. It was so touching that these kids who had nothing were so selfless and excited to get stuff for their family. You've inspired me not to put off the angel tree until the last minute - I'm going this week!

Sarah said...

such an awesome story syd. you have totally inspired me to go the extra mile and help a child in need. that last truck i bought Luke for christmas would be much happier in a home that really needs it. i think he can go without this christmas. i too will find an angel tree and give this year. in fact, i think making it a tradition would be even better. thanks again.

Jessica said...

Sydney, I do the giving tree every year that we have lived in this town, I love to get a child who is close in age and the same gender as mine and take my girls with me so they get a real sense of other kids their age not haveing as much as they have been blessed with. So I agree, I love the giving tree.

Rachel said...

Very cool Syd.
We took Lily with us this year to shop for a girl her age. Now that she understands Christmas we're hoping she'll catch the vision of giving instead of always wanting to get.
They're never too young to learn how blessed they are, right?

The Wright's said...

Wow. Thanks for the comment. I am going to forget the "neighbor" gifts this year and do something else. I love being reminded just how blessed I am. Great post. Thanks for the reminder.