My neglected garden caught my eye the other day and it happened to be exploding with tomatoes. Ripe, ready to eat tomatoes.
Gibson and I got busy picking them and when we were done we had enough to make a fresh batch of salsa. I also found some peppers, zucchini and squash in the garden as well.

Every September/October when the tomatoes are peaking, my dad is in the kitchen making salsa. Yummy salsa. If you enter my parents house during the salsa making time you'll enter an oven (it gets SO hot in the kitchen) and you'll run into the sweet aroma of a batch of salsa simmering on the stove.
Now, since I had all of these tomatoes I called up my dad to find the secret to making a great salsa and as he gave me step by step instructions, I quickly realized why I have never made the kind of salsa he makes. Wow, what LOVE he puts into his salsa. I didn't have the patience to make his salsa so I took his ingredients and threw them in a pot, simmered and tasted and this is my version of salsa.
Since I had so many tomatoes, I decided to make 2 batches of salsa. One I cooked and simmered and the other was a fresh, chunky salsa from a recipe my SIL Jen gave me.
I have to admit I enjoyed the fresh, chunky salsa better. I think I made the other one too sweet for my liking and didn't use enough hot peppers but the fresh chunky salsa was yummy. Here's the recipe. My SIL calls it "Hot Nanny Salsa" (there's a story behind it but I'm not sure what it is), my other sister calls it "Moab Salsa" and I've heard it called a few other names as well.
Tomatoes, Can of Corn (drained), Can of black eyed Peas (drained), Avocado (cubed), onion (the recipe calls for green onion but I like red onion better), cilantro and Italian Dressing. Throw it all together, chill for a few hours and enjoy!
So this picture has nothing to do with salsa but I had to include it. PLEASE tell me this is not MY child eating celery from the garbage can......
Ugh. Such issues I have with garbage cans. I can't stand a little one that goes under the sink (I refuse to change it a million times a day), I can't stand to stick it in my pantry (yuck), so it sits at the end of the bar- out in the open for all to see. I had a stainless steel one that had a lid but couldn't stand that it was circular and couldn't fit odd sized things in it.
So, until I get my new house and can design my kitchen with a drawer that's large enough to fit a garbage can- I guess I'll have to be a little more diligent at making sure the food on the top of the garbage pile is fresh enough to eat:)
9 comments:
Oh man, I wish I would have saw this earlier. We were trying to figure out what to do with all our tomatos! I should have called you to have you tell me how to make salsa. It looks really good.
Okay gringa tell the truth, were there ANY hot peppers in that batch of Bob salsa? As I recall you're a bit of a wimp when it comes to the spicy.
What a memory! I loved salsa making time at the Taylor house. I used to loiter in the kitchen hoping Bob would hand over a jar in exchange for my absence. :)
I'm so jealous of all those tomatoes! There's nothing like a vine ripened tomato with a little salt and pepper. Yum! I have to go all the way to the Farmer's Market to find tomatoes like that. I'm so impressed by your sustenance bearing garden!
Also... I'm with ya on that trash can business. Mine's at the end of the bar too. SO ugly, but what ya gonna do right?
Umm, is Easton walking?
Same problem with the garbage! I don't know why I didn't think of a better alternative when we built our house. If my first kid would have done that, I would have died! With the 3rd...I just make sure she is fully immunized...and I figure she is fine!
Salsa is always made with love. Syd called me and asked for the secret receipe. She got lost when I said to take the tomato skin off. I'm glad that one thing I still do still has some mystic to my adult kids. They grow up too fast. papa
That's funny about the can. We have the same problem!! I was actually going to post some pics tomarrow on that. Right at the end of the counter and always ready for Brandon to find his snacks.
That's funny that you say you miss East Coast Custard. It is our #1 place for icecream and we try to get others hooked but they just don't get it. They don't like it because it doesn't have all the different flavor choices like Cold stone. I think they're crazy! I'm glad to hear someone else loves it as much as we do.
At least you attempted the mystery! I only ever want to make the fresh stuff that takes minutes not days like Dad's. Then steal the other from his storage room.
I love that your child is eating out of the garbage! It's funny. Let's add this to the pant-less Gibson at my wedding, that one time you drove from your house to Mom's house and you didn't change Gibson once. You're family is funny! I love them.
Did you get my picture text with Jason's newest child?
Oh and I'm calling you back tonight!
Mmmmmm!
Yummy Syd look at you Mrs. Martha. I wish I had a tomato plant I am going to try next year. Looks like you have been BUSY.
Post a Comment