Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yesterday morning I received a phone call from Christina. It was early, like before 9a.m. early. It went something like this:

her: "I need an out tonight, I'm thinking of going to a late movie. Wanna come?"
me: "why, yes. yes, I would"

I started the bedtime routine early. I fed and bathed the boys. Scrubbing the outside dirt off their little feet, slathering them in lotion and in a freshly laundered set of pajamas. Their teeth were brushed, hair was combed and they were ready to be tucked in to bed.

Important Note: All Jared needed to do was to read them a book and put them into bed.

I walked out the door with Christina to go see Eat, Pray, Love. A movie based on a book I really enjoyed. Here's my two cents on the movie.

A little slow. A little long. Julia Roberts is fantastic and I thought the casting all around was great. It's been years since I have read the book and I'm pretty sure some parts were missing but overall, it was good. Not great, but good.

I returned home to find my kids tucked into bed. As I started inquiring about how bedtime went I started to learn that Jared felt it was just too nice of a night to put them kids into bed by 8. So they went outside to play.

Say What?

{sigh} once again the boys played outside in the summer evening with no shoes. They stayed up past their bedtime and well, got dirty once again.

So it's official that Jared and I parent differently in some aspects. I like routine and clean feet and Jared enjoys summer memories and playing so hard they {literally} drop into bed at night.

However the kids go to bed. They wake up happy, refreshed and ready to start a new day so it looks like we're doing something right. Raising happy kids, with dirty feet.

1 comment:

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

I feel the same way! Rob would rather stay up and play and I do everything I can to have them actually in bed at their bedtime....not still outside playing or wrestling. Last night I had a sweet set up for him that would allow him to put the baby to bed and then take the older kids to the park while I had a YW meeting at our house. Instead, he wanted to take her with him, they came home past bedtime and then he got cranky b/c they were hard to put to bed and I was unavailable to help. But they had fun at the park!