Friday, March 11, 2011



in case you are wondering, the ER isn't very busy on a Friday afternoon. The wait time is minimal, the staff isn't burned out yet and and crying children get lots of attention from the nurses.

We saw the inside of the ER for the first time today. I actually pat myself {or my children} on the back because we've kept clear of it for 6 years! Knowing how rough and tough my boys are, I think this is a pretty good accomplishment.

Creed fell at the park as he was climbing the stairs to slide down the slide. He hit perfectly on his forehead and it cut it right open. 20 stitches later, a few stuffed animals, a motorcycle and a new Buzz Lightyear sippie cup and he was up and about.

Jared was with him while he got stitched up, I was in the lobby melting at the sound of hearing my baby cry in pain. So. glad. Jared. was. there.

As I walked out of the ER with my baby boy now sporting what will certainly be a scar, my heart was full. How lucky we are that it's only stitches. Just a few days ago, my sisters best friend walked out of the ER with empty arms. Her 4 month old died of SIDS. Heartbreak.

You can read more about her story here.

It's amazing how things are quickly put into perspective when you look outside of yourself. So many others are facing the unimaginable. So many others are facing what I never will have to.

What I am pretty sure I will have to do is see the inside of an ER again. With 3 boys, I am certain, I haven't seen the last of those curtained rooms.

4 comments:

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

So glad he's okay. Ben has a scar in exactly the same spot that he got when he was 1.5 yrs old (spinning himself in circles right into a concrete corner wall). A plastic surgeon sewed him up and there is still a nice scar. He calls it his Harry Potter scar and thinks he's very cool.

Mary Ellen and Kevin said...

poor creed. i am impressed that this is your 1st trip to the ER. We have been multiple times. for stange from non stop barffing to falling out of a shopping cart in the Target parking lot to allergic reactions to meds. but NEVER had stitches. poor thing.

Rachel said...

Yikes! Poor little fella. I've heard it's sort of cool for boys to have battle wounds from youth. Of course... when/if it's my boy I'm sure I won't find any part of it cool.

I'm so sad to hear about the SIDS loss. I couldn't bring myself to click over to their story, but I'm sure every parent can imagine their heartbreak. Makes me want to hug my babies a little tighter for a little longer.

Aly G said...

Oh Sydney, He is such a little cutie! So glad he is okay! I am so sorry about your sisters friend!:( I just read about it and it made me cry a lot! I just can't even imagine! What a sweet sweet baby he is! It really made me realize my trials are not so big. Thanks for sharing.