Wednesday, September 23, 2009

{Just because posts are more fun to read with a picture}

I have a box. It's a shoe box, minus the lid. Actually, it's a shoe gift box that shoe boxes go in when giving to others. That of course is besides the point. The point is. I have a box.

This box is filled with stuff. Stuff that I have no idea what to do with. Stuff that I have plans to file, take out to the car, put away, make copies of, shred or in other words, do something with....just not right now.

The problem with the box is that it's full. It gets fuller every day as we clear the counter for dinner, I throw everything from the counter into the box. Move it to the floor, couch or unused chair. Then I find I need an item so the box is reshuffled, yet never empty.

I know this horrible habit comes from my mother. However, my mother doesn't use boxes. She uses cookie sheets.

My question is. How do I get rid of the box? What do you do with the stuff you don't want to file away, can't file away, think you'll use or plain just don't want to start another folder in the filing cabinet for?

I'd like to think that it's just because I've run out of storage room but I've had a box for years....it just doesn't seem to go away.

Please help me get rid of my box.

11 comments:

Mary Ellen and Kevin said...

do something our mothers never learned to do... THROW IT AWAY!!!! if after 1 week or even two, you have no need for it.. just pitch it. Keep the shredder in the kitchen next to where you keep the mail, so as you get the stuff that needs to be shredded, just do it then and not later.

dani said...

just toss it!!

Unknown said...

It was genetic huh! I do the same thing. Now that we're getting ready to pack I've started going through things thinking 'oh i can't throw this away' when its something I obviously haven't looked at for over a year! I need to learn to throw too.

Maybe we should start a support group.

Mary Ellen and Kevin said...

break the ugly cycle... I don't know where they got it from...but they taught it to us. I'm sure we can find some kind of 12 step program...

Laurie said...

Hi. My name is Laurie. I have a box...well actually mine is a bin. I actually carry it with me to and from the office. I do have a limit...I never let it get full. But the funny thing is...I look at everything in it every single day. I spend so much time sifting through and resifting... it's pathetic really. Truth is people have had "boxes" for years. Men have them too...they used to be called brief cases. Point is...let me know when you are able to rid yourself of the box and how you do it.

Unknown said...

Garbage.

Melissa (Catlin) Kiser said...

i have the same problem, but for me i have several "boxes" i need a secretary.

gillian said...

I wish I was organized enough to have a box. Yours sounds fancy.

More Caffiene, Please said...

I love the cookie sheet thing. Too funny!

Here's what I do... I gather up my pile of crap every few weeks or so, grab my shredder and throw on a DVRd show (Top Chef, Rachel Zoe, Housewives, you know, trash) and watch it while I get rid of the pile.

Theraputic and trashy at the same time!

Aly G said...

Love it! My box is a drawer in my kitchen and I toss everything I don't know what to do with in there and about every month or so when I know I don't need it cuz I haven't tried to find it there, I throw it all away and it feels so good to start again!:) Love that u have one too!

The Wright's said...

I am not the queen of organization. It's just not my nature. I too have a box. Well, it's actually a three tiered wire basket in my pantry. And for some odd reason, I actually do tackle this "box" once in awhile. Meanwhile, I forget what is in there and have forgotten about several great discounts that I stored away for "later." Point is, we all have a system. And as I say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Maybe in your new house you can hide it away. If not, who cares! It works for you!