Wednesday, November 12, 2008

VTech and Leap Frog???

Are these worth the money and do they do all they say they'll do?

I've been debating one of these for Gibson but they are expensive! I don't want him to become bored with it after a few days or have the battery constantly running out.

Any input or suggestions as to which one {if any} I should get my 4 year old who loves to learn?

13 comments:

More Caffiene, Please said...

We have a Leap Frog lap top that CJ is really starting to like. Last January all the books on www.allaboardtoys.com were 75% off so my mom bought him 20!! for his birthday in February. YOu can always find deals on these on Craigslist, too.

His friend has the V-Smile and CJ loves to play that as well.

We're going uneducational this year with the Wii. Rock Band counts, right? Music class?

Sarah said...

both my boys have the leapster. NOt the laptop style with books but the little hand held and they play with them on a daily basis. Ruby is even starting to get into them. The games are great and educational and range from pre-k to like 4th grade. We haven't regreted the investement at all. I would also get the rechargable battery pack that you can get additional- huge hit and savings on batteries. Hope this helps. let me know if you have questions. We are also going for the Wii this year. Got sucked into that one of coarse.

Kati said...

I swear by ANYTHING leapfrog. Even the DVD's are AWESOME! My kids both learned to read with leapfrog products. We have the leapster and they both played with it a lot. I haven't bought anything made by leapfrog for a while since my boys are both a little old for them (their opinion, not mine) but I will most definitely be buying all the latest a greatest for Haleigh. I think it is money well spent. And Jamie...I really do think rock band is educational. My Ryan didn't know a beat if it hit him in the head. You should see the kid play the guitar now! It really is amazing progress! Also, it is one of the best family activities ever! We all have fun, even our 2 year old.

Florrie said...

When I got my oldest two Leapsters (that was four years ago) they LOVED them.....played with them all the time. Now, I'm pleased to say that my younger two love them just as much and we still get good use out of them. The games are very fun and educational....my kids especially love the games that are built right into the system. I know they are expensive, but give it a couple of years and they will be asking for Nintendo DS's, which is where we are now and Hello? Those things are NOT cheap.
Sorry this post is so biased, but I only have experience with Leapfrog products. I don't know VTech.
Also, I stock up on batteries at Sam's club and truthfully, it'll keep him so entertained you'd be willing to pay any price!

Jami Steele Davis said...

Jesse has a leapster and we are getting Addie one for Christmas this year. They both love his, it makes trips in the car very quiet!!!

Karen said...

I'm just going to add to everyone else's comments--Leapster all the way. We have the Leapster L-Max, and both boys LOVE it. We've had it for a couple years now, and every once in a while I'll get a new game for them. A great investment, IMO.

Lindsey said...

I've had both, and really like both! Tyler really likes the VSmile (VTech). I had the Leappad when he was in kindergarten. Both are spendy, but worth it!

Cathryn said...

We have two hand held leapsters in our house...and LOVE THEM. Yes, they are pricey but worth the money.

510Jen said...

Ditto to Sarah my kids have one too and love it.

nancy said...

Zack has just the hand held kind and loves it. They are expensive but worht it. When we got his it was on sale at Target. I know Costco has deals on them to form time to time. Gibson will love it. They do help them learn with out even knowing it.

Krumhansl Family said...

Nolan has a Vtech pocket and loves it - well he did for a couple of years. The games get pricey, about $20 - but they're all educational. He's six now and keeps talking about wanting a DS. But I know as soon as I get one, a better, more advanced one will come out a month later! Oh, you can also hook the Vtech to your TV. I do think it's worth it.

Ben and Krystal said...

I've done the Leapfrog, and in my opinion, Kaleb outgrew interest too quickly to make it worth it (and he is a big gamer). I got the Vtech Tote N Go Laptop Plus for David which teaches letters and numbers and sounds-it is only $20. He likes that it is a "computer". For home, nothing beats free learning games online or cheap learning cds. I have tons I could recommend!

The Wright's said...

I hate to rain on the parade - but my child has both and could care less. He prefers books. Not toys, games or pieces... I hate buying him anything but books. That's all he uses. But that aside. I love Leap Pad. I learn a lot from them!